Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Division  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
Re: The Division
« Reply #30: March 18, 2016, 03:27:44 AM »
There are a couple of bits that seem to require that you're in a mission - one in the mall, one somewhere else - and there's an (I think) ECHO in Clinton that you can only get to in an end-game mission.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #31: June 29, 2016, 12:07:10 PM »
After a few months away from The Division - apart from an underwhelming evening just before the 1.2 patch dropped - I sat down last night to see if it's gotten any better in the interval.

The gunplay clicked with me a lot better than it did the last time, and they've even added some additional soloable content, for those of us who don't have the time (or friends) to tackle the "Inclursion" raids. Firstly, there are now (pretty basic) multi-stage "go to location, wipe out opposition" daily missions at each safehouse which give you yet another new currency - intel - which is traded in to new vendors to get daily and weekly "Most Wanted" missions, where a named enemy is spawned and can be killed for Phoenix Credits (among other rewards).

It's still politically troubling, the map is exactly the same (is this the longest Christmas period in history? I know people need cheering up during the apocalypse, but fairy lights are bound to get annoying after a while), and the solo experience is pretty thin. I didn't go into the Dark Zone to check its new stuff - "sealed packs" of loot that have to be unbundled in your stash - because I know I'm going to be so far below the gear level required to compete. But with a reliable way to collect Phoenix Credits, finally, unlocking higher-level equipment should be a lot less reliant on finding companions.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #32: June 29, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »
I keep nearly booting this up again, then just play more Overwatch instead.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: June 30, 2016, 04:45:17 PM »
Not been on in a week but a friend picked it up and is loving it like I did, issue is there is no balancing if you play different levels, it doesn't scale the way borderlands used to, my mate who was level 10 was mainly hiding whilst I killed everything.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #34: June 30, 2016, 06:11:49 PM »
I read an interesting comment on this, though I can't remember where, but it really nailed the problem I had with The Division, but didn't quite realise: when you hit the level cap, the genre of the game changes.

When you're levelling up, it's really a tactical shooter. You need to use cover, and although the enemies have health bars that prevent one-headshot-kills (at least, on mobs around your level), it's so far, so Tom Clancy. But when you hit the cap and start doing hard modes, it's a hardcore loot-grind RPG, where all that matters is your gear. You can't get through encounters by using good tactics. You can only succeed by having the right gear.

It's a big and sudden change, and I think it's a large part of why it stops feeling (as) fun when you're level 30, unlike full-on loot grinds like Diablo, where it's that "get better shit, scrub" mechanic from the moment you boot the game.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #35: November 10, 2016, 06:02:09 PM »
I'm quite enjoying this. Level 4 now.

No idea what's happening. I'm getting too old for this sort of thing.

But it is fun. Me and two others killed some dudes. There were cover mechanics and numbers came out of them.

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: November 11, 2016, 05:18:46 AM »
I quite liked it at the time, then hit the level cap/endgame grind and had binned it within hours. (This being when all that was pretty horrible and broken, whereas now I get the impression it's much improved.) I can't see myself ever going back now though.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #37: November 11, 2016, 06:37:12 AM »
It's very GAME THE GAME WITH THE GAME MECHANICS.

But it is fun, even though it relies heavily on every cliched game system you can imagine.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #38: November 11, 2016, 06:51:08 AM »
The end-game has improved a lot since launch, although it's still a little too co-op-heavy for my liking (I solo'd pretty much the entire game).

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: November 11, 2016, 10:50:26 AM »
I keep meaning to go back to it, got to about lvl 27 and did really enjoy the world and stuff but everyone I was playing with drifted off to new games and a lot of it has changed now, such as the end game weapon stats and rankings etc so it makes no sense to me now.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #40: March 08, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
Oops! Ubisoft accidentally released the Division 2 press release early. More just a confirmation it's happening than any kind of detail, though.

I still hop back into the Division every now and then, just for a while. There's a core to it that I really like, and it usually feels like there's a variety of things to do that will result in some kind of reward, unlike, say, Destiny 2, where anything I can attempt solo feels very grindy.

My main hope for a sequel is that they'll be able to change the seasons, and that it'll allow for more narrative expansions.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 09, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »
I never actually maxed out my character and my issue when I've tried to play is its completely different and evolved now to the game I learnt so I frequently die. Pleased there is another, would still like to finish it and read the book they did for it.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: March 09, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »
Oops! Ubisoft accidentally released the Division 2 press release early. More just a confirmation it's happening than any kind of detail, though.

I still hop back into the Division every now and then, just for a while. There's a core to it that I really like, and it usually feels like there's a variety of things to do that will result in some kind of reward, unlike, say, Destiny 2, where anything I can attempt solo feels very grindy.

My main hope for a sequel is that they'll be able to change the seasons, and that it'll allow for more narrative expansions.

I hope that the story and setting is less oppressively awful. I want to like the division and I want to play it but every time I do, I walk past a literal mountain of bodybags and think 'what a sad, angry game,' and stop.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #43: March 09, 2018, 05:52:30 PM »
Yeah, it's got problems, narratively and politically.

I never actually maxed out my character and my issue when I've tried to play is its completely different and evolved now to the game I learnt so I frequently die. Pleased there is another, would still like to finish it and read the book they did for it.

My big stumbling block when I come back after an absence is remembering to take it slow. The Division puts much more emphasis on the "tactical" than the "shooter", so if I try and play it like pretty much anything else, I just get repeatedly annihilated. Take it slow, hang back, use med station.