Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tiny Epic games  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tiny Epic games
« Topic Start: March 04, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »
Hapimesses introduced me to a game called Tiny Epic Kingdoms and I have since bought Tiny Epic Galaxies. There is a third called Tiny Epic Defenders but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. All three games come in nice small boxes which are stuffed with cards and boards and counters and dice.

In Kingdoms each player has to gather resources (magic, food, and maybe bricks?) and use them to develop a randomly assigned fantasy race. It's a satisfying and fast paced game which feels well balanced thanks to everyone acting simultaneously and all the different races with their special abilities add unique twists each time you play.

Mrs Bloodaxe enjoyed Tiny Epic Kingdoms enough that we went to buy our own copy. When we couldn't find it we went with Tiny Epic Galaxies instead. Today I finally got around to playing it and it turns out that while it isn't the same game as Kingdoms it works in a similar way and it manages the same trick of being deep enough to to give you some strategy without being complicated. The actual play of Galaxies involves sending out rockets to gather resources and colonise planets each of which give you new special abilities. It also has an interesting system of rolling dice to determine which actions you can perform which mixes things up really well.

So yeah, a solid recommendation for both Tiny Epic Kingdoms and Tiny Epic Galaxies. Galaxies even works well with just two players and also has a solo mode with five difficulties of automated opponents.

I'm looking forward to having a chance to try out Tiny Epic Defenders too.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
Re: Tiny Epic games
« Reply #1: March 04, 2016, 06:29:14 PM »
They've just finished Kickstarting Tiny Epic Western as well.

I've only played Galaxies, and only a handful of games, but it gets more strategic than the small box suggests, with more than two players. I do feel like it could be a little bit longer - I didn't think there was as much opportunity to use the powers of your colonies as there should be - but the point target could easily be houseruled to give players more of an opportunity for late-game shenanigans (and to reduce the impact of spending the entire early game levelling up your civilization, getting more ships and dice than everybody else).

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2: March 04, 2016, 07:02:17 PM »
I did wonder what the effect might be of increasing the target victory points, but I'm not sure it would change much. I expect that the player who managed to reach 21 points first would probably also be best placed to reach 30 or 40 points. In fact, I was the first to reach 21 points tonight and by the end of my turn I was on 30 points.

As for not getting a chance to use the special abilities of the planets, isn't that just an incentive to land on the planets rather than (or as well as) colonising them?

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3: September 07, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »
A new kickstarter jusr launched for a full size expansion to Tiny Epic Galaxies.

I have to say I'm not convinced that it needs the extra faff of buying pilots to upgrade your ships and the extra exploring mini game that opens up. New planets and goals would be welcome though. They explicitly state that the expansion wont increase game length which suggests to me that it won't really be adding any more than it takes away.

I'll probably wait for reviews but if anyone else is interested it's $24 for the expansion or $46 for the expansion and the game, which is pretty reasonable.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #4: September 08, 2016, 08:50:32 AM »
It's the deluxe version, so I think I might jump in now. I'm not convinced Galaxies needs much more faff either, but I'm willing to be proven otherwise.

I see there's Tiny Epic Quest coming too - which looks great.

I remain a huge fan of Kingdoms (less so of Heroes Call, which I think overcomplicates things a bit) and Defenders (even though it gets a bit of a kicking on BGG). A lot of (well designed) game in not a lot of box.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5: September 08, 2016, 03:38:47 PM »
I just lost an hour to the Gamelyn website watching videos of their other games and expansions.

The Tiny Epic Kingdoms expansion looks good. I'm not sure about the heroes but the towers should encourage combat in the late game burning resources and messing up everyone's plans.

Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms looks great. Cheap too I'm very tempted.

I was surprised to see that Tiny Epic Defenders is basically a simplified, fantasy, Pandemic. Although, I guess not that surprised since is the world's favourite co-op boardgames. The rules sound pretty basic though, is there really enough going on?

Tiny Epic Western didn't look great.

Tiny Epic Quest sounds similar to Kingdoms but different enough to be worthwhile.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #6: September 09, 2016, 06:13:40 AM »
I backed them all, and own everything released so far. Bit of a Tiny Epic fan, though the games score less play time than I'd prefer as they bridge the divide between casual and complicated, and often peeps want one or the other (and certainly expect the former when looking at the presentations). Still, very fond of what the games offer, and have always had fun with them.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #7: September 09, 2016, 06:17:43 AM »
In the time honoured tradition of the Society I feel obliged to say IT'S NOTHING LIKE PANDEMIC BECAUSE GERMS AND REASONS. It is, I guess similar in the sense it's co-op, decks of cards and has a frantic positional aspect to it, but beyond that they don't feel that alike in play. The rules are pretty simple, but the game feels pretty different depending on the locations and heroes you use. Variety is something it's often criticised for, but I've not found it an issue. The biggest problem, as I said on the other thread, is that the game's curve is slightly off. Often not a lot happens in early rounds and then it suddenly starts to crank and one bad draw and you're stuffed. It isn't always possible to mitigate against bad luck. But you see that in stuff like Pandemic, so it's not that big of a deal (and the game is so quick it's a good excuse to reset and try again).

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 12, 2016, 04:26:09 PM »
Interested in this as one of the packs comes with the original which I haven't tracked down in store yet, plus if I kick start it I will then be free to by defenders in store!

My kickstarter is actually linked to a credit card I have lost but have an auto direct debit set up to pay a tiny amount off each month as there is never any real spending on it but keep it on advice of a friend for my credit rating, so by logic I've convinced myself it's practically free...

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #9: September 12, 2016, 04:41:29 PM »
Just basic martanomics.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10: September 12, 2016, 05:08:15 PM »
I ordered a copy of Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms this morning. It's an indiegogo late backer thing though and I didn't read the (ultra)small print so I have no idea at al how long it will take to arrive.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 13, 2016, 12:22:45 PM »
Just basic martanomics.

I thought that as I typed.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12: September 13, 2016, 05:18:42 PM »
The brains behind these games, I forget his name, ran a small poll on Twitter yesterday asking which was the best game between Kingdoms, Galaxies and Defenders. Galaxies was sitting at 85% when I checked.

So if you were only going to buy one Tiny Epic game, that's the one.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 21, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »
So I nabbed Defenders off ebay, it's the kickstarter version and the print quality of it seems really poor on the enlarged cards, them seem quite thin too. Is that standard of all of them?

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14: September 21, 2016, 02:40:46 PM »
So I nabbed Defenders off ebay, it's the kickstarter version and the print quality of it seems really poor on the enlarged cards, them seem quite thin too. Is that standard of all of them?

No, the quality of the games I've seen has always been really good. Kickstarter backers had access to print&play pdf files, sounds like you might have bought somebody's homemade copy.