Username: Password:

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 18478 times)

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
Nintendo Switch
« Topic Start: October 20, 2016, 10:07:24 AM »
! No longer available

I honestly have very little idea what to make of this. The tech looks impressive, if it's really that quick to switch (I see what they did there) from home-to-portable, but there are obvious questions about battery life and running temperature - and that's just practical considerations without going into the internet rabbithole of "how many polygons is it".

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #1: October 20, 2016, 10:09:05 AM »
Looks.... OK, I guess?

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 20, 2016, 10:12:45 AM »
Agreed that all those questions need answers (and we have no idea how powerful it is) but the general concept is a complete winner as far as I'm concerned.  A decent handheld/home console hybrid really works for me.  And it might help Nintendo out with their development pipeline too - all the way through this gen they've seemed able to produce good Wii U games, or good 3DS games, but never both at the same time.

I wonder if they'll get third-party support this time?

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #3: October 20, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »
No.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #4: October 20, 2016, 10:17:04 AM »
To be fair to Nintendo, portable, single screen, multiplayer gaming is possibly a draw for families. I'd get some use out of that. Assuming it's about as powerful as a portable WiiU, then that should lead to some decent, meaty titles, and the home console/portable transition is neat. But lets face it, it's facing an innovation/experience punch to the face from PS VR, a power kick to the crotch from Scorpio and the Pro, and a general doing over from the ubiquity of cheap, portable tablets, with enormous, cheap games libraries.

It's going to be a disaster at retail.

EDIT: It could of course be running Android. And the Switch principle/controller could work on anything via a Nintendo shell. That might be interesting.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #5: October 20, 2016, 10:21:46 AM »
Interesting to note, since cav brought up the tablet comparisons, that it doesn't appear to have a touch-screen. Or at least nobody uses one in that video.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #6: October 20, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »
Leaked specs say it's a capacitive IPS touchscreen.

They also say 4Gb RAM/6gb when docked and a Tegra chip that sticks it somewhere in the ballpark of a portable WiiU. Short of the PS4/One. Well short.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 20, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »
Bit more powerful than a 3DS though.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #8: October 20, 2016, 10:34:48 AM »
Leaked specs say it's a capacitive IPS touchscreen.

Hmm - someone else pointed out that a touchscreen raises interesting questions when it's docked, though.

Bit more powerful than a 3DS though.

So long as it's not priced much higher than a 3DS, they might be in luck, but if it's in PS4/Xbone territory Nintendo will be fighting an uphill battle.

Offline AR

• Commandant
  • Formerly known as
    • View Profile
    • The old haunt.
« Reply #9: October 20, 2016, 10:38:29 AM »
Confirmed as Tegra-powered.

...Short of a first-party title with wide enough appeal to drive sales hard from day one, I don't see it getting much traction. It's a nice idea, but what third party in their right mind is going to develop for a Nintendo home console after what happened to the Wii U?

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 20, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »
I think it depends how they pitch it.

As a home console, it's obviously up against the PS4 and Xbox One, both of which have a couple of years' head start.  The Wii U couldn't manage to make up ground against the 360 and PS3 and on paper it was more powerful than those.  I don't think the Switch can compete in that market.  I think it's a mistake to think it's even going to try.

But as a handheld, that you can also dock with your TV when you want to play on a big screen, I think it's definitely got potential.  The 3DS has sold a ton (and has loads of great games) despite being an ergonomic disaster and being technologically about three generations out of date.  Don't underestimate Nintendo's strengths in this area.

The Switch is replacing two Nintendo machines, not one, and everyone's focusing on the wrong one.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #11: October 20, 2016, 10:48:54 AM »
The 3DS had a window where it sold, where the tweenager downwards market couldn't really be trusted with a tablet as they were too expensive. These days tablets are almost disposable. The portable market is dead. All the 3DS really has left going for it is the clamshell design and the fact it's easy for parents to buy children games for it in traditional brick and mortar shops. But even that's going, as my youngest understands the concept of the Android/iOS marketplaces and getting a voucher for them. So, portable. Dead. Utter madness to even try something in the space.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #12: October 20, 2016, 10:53:50 AM »
The third party support confirmed so far is reportedly not too bad. We'll see how long that lasts. Even managed to pin Bethesda down, or so online articles claim. We'll see.

As for myself, I am unmoved. My WiiU doesn't see much use -- pulled out for a party game or two or for occasional fun, but secondary to other consoles. The 360 is used more. And I can't see my kids using this over a 3DS, which is very child friendly.

I will not be dipping in early with Nintendo this time, I think. I'll wait, like I have with the One, to see how it all develops first, and maybe drop some cash if it has some solid exclusives that aren't just more Mario and Zelda et al, and it looks like it'll last more than four years.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #13: October 20, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »
Oh, and here's the list of 3rd party supporters Nintendo reportedly mailed out:

(click to show/hide)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend