Username: Password:

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 18414 times)

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #15: October 20, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »
$400? Nope.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #16: October 20, 2016, 11:16:48 AM »
*walks into thread*

*sees fairly sensible, but still negative talk*

Well, I want it.

*walks out again*

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17: October 20, 2016, 11:39:18 AM »
I like the look of it and the fact that Nintendo will be putting all their games on one platform is a big plus. No way I'll pay £400 for one.

Actually, now that we are losing our 1st world country status I guess is optimistic to assume a $400 console will be a £400 console in the UK.

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 20, 2016, 12:10:43 PM »
unfortunately I can't justify another console in the house, but if I could this would be grand; if only as a plus sized vita that I could use while the kids were using the TV

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 20, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »
Nah.

Koffdrop

« Reply #20: October 20, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »
On the plus side, it's gimmick isn't something that is going to be some that developers have to work hard to accomodate. Sure, there's the question of power, but scalability is the same topic for this as it is for anything else. Less risk to developers could mean a more diverse library. Encouraging.

On the negative, as with the Wii U, Nintendo are looking to straddle two very distinct, very competitive demographics with one device. That gamble was one of the things that killed the Wii U.
The controllers look bad. I'm going to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt here, because the Wii U gamepad looks like it should be awful to hold, but it's pretty great.

Unknown: Ecosystem, services, meaningful partnerships. Nintendo always wheel out a list of 'unprecedented' third party partnerships at launch / announce. If their offerings amount to remasters of old games from other systems (Batman - Wii U, Skyrim - Switch) then IDGAF. Also, fattening out the list with middleware developers doesn't inspire confidence.

Cartridges: Some pros. Some cons.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21: October 20, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »
I really like the fact that the controllers can be used as one fully featured controller or as two minimal controllers. Two player Mario Kart (or whatever) on one unit is pretty cool.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 20, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
It looks incredible, like a tablet with big media capability and not gimped because of lack of a proper controller. I want this day 1.

Offline AR

• Commandant
  • Formerly known as
    • View Profile
    • The old haunt.
« Reply #23: October 20, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
After a bit of reflection, I've gone from curiosity to general indifference. This really isn't a very good idea- the underlying hardware's just going to be so limited.

Might have some appeal for kids if they can get a new megafranchise like Pokémon off the ground. For everything beyond a 3DS-level library, though? Seems like a complete non-starter.

It's not even going to nail the party game market- the screen's too small to make the on-the-go multiplayer feature all that appealing.

Edit: Have to say, I'm not sure where people are getting the $400 figure from- the highest I've seen anywhere's $299.

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 21, 2016, 05:04:24 AM »
Marit wants one immediately, Nintendo-phile that she is, whereas I'm mildly curious but little more. As always with me, the games will be the important part - I have nearly as many games I want to play on the 3DS as on the other consoles, so it's not like graphical fidelity will be the only selling point.

If this is Nintendo putting all their eggs in one basket, then if it does well in Japan (and well enough here that stuff gets localised) then there's a decent chance it could end up with a lot of interesting (if not AAA) titles, and if that happens then I'll happily join the bandwagon / steal some time on Marit's.

The importance of the price is going to be huge though - with upgraded PS4s amd XBOnes on the horizon, and this still not even as powerful as the standard models, launching at anything other than a cheaper pricepoint would surely be madness.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 21, 2016, 05:10:40 AM »
Let's be honest, that Mario game is going to be the best game of whichever year it comes out in, and we'll all own a Switch by Christmas 17.

« Reply #26: October 21, 2016, 06:06:20 AM »
I like the look of it because I am a man/woman who has friends/commitments but still likes to play video games with others/by myself wherever and whenever I want to.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #27: October 21, 2016, 06:15:22 AM »
My only thinking with how they might justify a higher price point is that they'll say 'Well, this is our new home console AND our new handheld – two devices, but you only have to buy one.' I mean, you add up the price of a New 3DS and a Wii U, that's basically a high price.

Not saying that's what'll happen and not saying I agree with it, just thinking out loud how they might try to explain away more than the $200 everyone seems to be saying is the maximum they'd pay.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #28: October 21, 2016, 06:24:35 AM »
My only thinking with how they might justify a higher price point is that they'll say 'Well, this is our new home console AND our new handheld – two devices, but you only have to buy one.' I mean, you add up the price of a New 3DS and a Wii U, that's basically a high price.

That would be fucking suicide.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #29: October 21, 2016, 07:44:58 AM »
My only thinking with how they might justify a higher price point is that they'll say 'Well, this is our new home console AND our new handheld – two devices, but you only have to buy one.'

.... or neither.

I think worrying about the commercial side of this is futile. It's going to be a flop. Of course it is. Unless it's priced at £100. The third parties will have launch titles then drift away and we'll be left with a handful of Nintendo IP that we can't get anywhere else. A few of us here will buy it. Garwoofoo will pick one slightly shitty game on it and say it's incredible and play it for 100 hours, aniki will keep saying he's considering buying one (until the heat death of the universe) and mart will end with one by some financial transaction that results in him spending a net amount of about 50p, but losing his spleen ("I don't really need my spleen, so...."). Same old.

I think it looks OK. I will probably end up with one at some point. It's not going to sell.

If you've got the cash buy a PSVR.