Username: Password:

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 18413 times)

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #30: October 21, 2016, 10:26:39 AM »
aniki will keep saying he's considering buying one (until the heat death of the universe)

I've come to realise that I want to want Nintendo hardware more than I actually want Nintendo machines. I want to know what that warm Nintendo joy feels like, even through when I play their games it constantly escapes me and I'm left feeling frustrated. I'm intrigued and tempted by their games and their persistently weird hardware, but they're always a just the wrong place for an impulse buy and by the time the library picks up enough to make it seem worthwhile I've already got another machine and an existing backlog and then I can't justify it (and am secretly thankful).

Zelda looks mighty tempting, though. But I might end up just borrowing a WiiU from someone and playing it on that instead.

Koffdrop

« Reply #31: October 22, 2016, 03:58:09 AM »
Having since learned there's not one but two devices already on the market with the Switch's conceit:

Linx Vision
http://www.linxvision.co.uk/

Morphus X300

It looks like we're firmly back in the realm of Nintendo 'innovating' something that already exists and will have to endure endless retrofitted technicalities as to how "Nintendo actually were first because of [technicality A] and [technicality B] and, besides, [Nintendo fanboy reasoning] anyway".

Of course, one key difference is that those devices don't need a pricey docking station to put the image onto a different screen. So, yay, innovation. Right?

But, aside from that - how successful have these products been? Apparently the Linx Vision was mocked, but if only it had a Nintendo logo somewhere on it, it might have been celebrated!

Despite Nintendo's oft-repeated mantra of them not seeing anyone else as competition and them taking no notice of what anyone else does, I can't imagine they're not aware of these devices. Their low profile and unremarkable market performance aren't things I'd endorse when making their idea central to my new platform.

But that's just me.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: October 22, 2016, 02:28:42 PM »
Said before that I've played on one of those Lynx Visions, my mate has one, it's good, the x1 works loads better on that than it does streaming to my much higher spec'd laptop, pretty much the only thing I can play via the streaming is XCOM2 due to it's much slower pace meaning the lag and glitch outs don't do anything other than erk you.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #33: January 13, 2017, 01:11:19 AM »
My gut reaction is, Nintendo have fucked it.

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/819775703105179649

Offline AR

• Commandant
  • Formerly known as
    • View Profile
    • The old haunt.
« Reply #34: January 13, 2017, 01:48:32 AM »
Well.

That was something.

Miserable hardware specs, mediocre battery life, and launching with literally just that Zelda game we've known about since 2014 and a naff Wii-style motion control shovelware game.

What are they doing? Surely waiting a few months for a better launch library wouldn't have been all that great a hardship.

Pleasant surprise to see what looks like a proper Xenoblade Chronicles sequel, though. Crying shame it's chained to a Nintendo system, really.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35: January 13, 2017, 02:20:41 AM »
As long as they get some good games out and drop the price a bit before the end of the year I think it will do OK.

Offline AR

• Commandant
  • Formerly known as
    • View Profile
    • The old haunt.
« Reply #36: January 13, 2017, 02:43:59 AM »
They've got nine months to build up momentum for Christmas, I guess.

Still, really disappointing hardware. I'll give it a few years and pick up the inevitable next design revision if it manages to avoid flopping entirely.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 13, 2017, 03:54:47 AM »
As a big Nintendo fan and a frequent user of portables, I really wanted to like this. But... no. Just no. The price is wrong, the specs are underwhelming, the online infrastructure sounds completely unready, and the software lineup is (a) barren and (b) made up of minor upgrades to Wii U games I've played already. I'm totally underwhelmed.

I think I'll buy a PS4 Pro instead.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #38: January 13, 2017, 04:04:57 AM »
You can get an Xbox One S for £220 on Amazon, which honestly is a much more tempting prospect for me than a £280 Zelda machine - which is likely to be £330 once the cost of the game is factored in. It doesn't have backwards compatibility, a major selling point for the last few Nintendo consoles (you already own a bunch of games for it!). I've not looked at the hardware specs because those numbers rarely mean anything to me, but the overall impression I'm getting is "meh".

Maybe the biggest mistake, though, is bringing Zelda out cross-generation. I expect that most of the people who are the most likely to buy a new Nintendo machine for a new Nintendo game already own a WiiU. Nintendo have made buying a Switch for Breath of the Wild optional instead of required and while that's unusually generous for a games company I do wonder how much it's going to hamper sales of the new box.

I don't know whether this is an accurate gauge of demand, but both Amazon and Game still have Switch units for preorder. I was expecting it to go out of stock very quickly, but it's been up for two hours now and still available.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #39: January 13, 2017, 04:11:47 AM »
I see that Mario's finally getting on that highly successful Sonic Adventure model, though.

! No longer available

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: January 13, 2017, 04:29:28 AM »
Zelda and Mario looked wonderful. But yes, unless they've severely crippled the Wii U version I'll just pick Zelda up on the console I already own, and wait until Christmas to see how everything else plays out.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: January 13, 2017, 04:46:28 AM »
I particularly like the way in which their PS+ equivalent, paid online subscription, appears to give you one NES or SNES game a month... playable for that month only.

I'm starting to lean towards Team Brian. The sooner Nintendo go third party the better, really, if this is the best they can do.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: January 13, 2017, 06:11:17 AM »
Holy shit, that MArio game looks like a total fucking mess.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #43: January 13, 2017, 06:51:01 AM »
I really want to play Zelda, and I like the concept of the portable/docked hardware, but... man, they seem to be deliberately trying to make this a tough sell.

The online service sounds like a complete shambles - I mean, really? You need a separate smartphone app for party chat? In 2017!?

I'm really hoping the "free game for a month" thing is a communication error, because that's bonkers.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #44: January 13, 2017, 06:57:14 AM »

I'm starting to lean towards Team Brian. The sooner Nintendo go third party the better, really, if this is the best they can do.

It seems like the core concept of the hardware is much less key to the games this time, too - N64 had the analogue stick, Wii had motion control, WiiU had the gamepad screen... Portability aside, Switch seems like just another console, so feels much less essential to the experience.

Zelda on PS4, plx.