Username: Password:

Author Topic: More D&D than anyone deserves!  (Read 462 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
More D&D than anyone deserves!
« Topic Start: November 03, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »
The Bundle of Holding has just put up it's annual collection of Old School Renaissance RPG books, and it's amazing!

If you were unaware, the OSR is basically retro gaming for RPGs - Loads of amateur or semi amateur game designers writing adventures and settings and rules sets based (mostly) on classic 70's and 80's D&D. Some of the best RPG books I have seen in the last ten years have been OSR books and some of those are available for cheap right here:

Old School Revival +4 bundle

For $9 you get:
Deep Carbon Observatory - The adventure I am running just now. It is twisted and fantastic and cruel and funny.
The Pod Caverns of the Sinister Shroom - Written by Matt Finch so it's probably a very traditional, and very good dungeon crawl.
Castle Gargantua - A very well received setting book with uses random tables to generate a castle for your players to explore, big enough for a whole campaign.
Mad Monks of Kwantoom - Wuxia D&D. Supposedly mental in a good way.
One-Page Dungeon Compendia 2013-2015 - 270 small adventures for your games.
2014 Dodecahedron Cartographic Review - Dyson Lagos makes a living drawing maps for RPGs (crazy I know,) these are all his 2014 Patreon maps.

I paid about $9 for Deep Carbon Observatory and felt like it was a bargain.

If that wasn't enough, you can get the Bonus Collection too (currently $19 for all of it):
Yoon-Suin - This is my favourite D&D setting. Inspired by India, Tibet, Nepal and the Fighting Fantasy Sorcery! books. Steaming mangrove swamps, lonely kingdoms in vast plains, high mountain ranges with cursed vilages hidden away and river traders connecting them all. The Yellow City sits in the centre with it's tea houses, slug men merchants, assassins, adventurers. It is large enough and old enough that it's edges fall to ruin and are home to monsters. Best of all, most of Yoon-Suin is presented as random tables so every time you use it gives you something different.
Misty Isles of the Eld - Awesome sandbox adventure about Sci-Fi elves harvesting giant worms in the hope of one day returning to space. Or something...
Chthonic Codex - I don't know this one, it sounds good though.
Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls - hmm, I'm not a fan. It's the second ever published RPG in a new 400 page everything in one book format. It's OK.
Dwimmermount - A 400 page long megadungeon and surrounding setting. Very well regarded.

It's an excellent collection for anyone who runs, or wants to run, fantasy RPGs. Other than Tunnels & Trolls it's all written for Basic D&D or one of it's clones. The Labyrinth Lord or Basic Fantasy systems would run all of these fine and are both available free in PDF. If you are already running D&D 5th, this is all pretty compatible.

If you were at all curious about the retro D&D scene, this is a great place to start.