Username: Password:

Author Topic: Digital board gaming  (Read 997 times)

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
Digital board gaming
« Topic Start: January 10, 2017, 04:21:09 PM »
Finally embraced the mobile phone world like it's 2013 and got an android phone (huawei p9) - I want to try some games and board games though and thought I'd start here. I've owned a windows phone for over 2 years now so am so out of date on apps.

I've just discovered Pandemic is on there so might give that a go as don't own the board game of that but love it. Suggestions people?

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
Re: Digital board gaming
« Reply #1: January 11, 2017, 07:18:59 AM »
First three that come to mind are Elder Sign (my original favourite, solo-only), Lords of Waterdeep (which a few of on here played for a while) and Carcassone, which I haven't played in ages, but again we used to play a fair bit. Unfortunately for me everyone else knew what they were doing, so the learning curve was steep.

There are plenty of others, that are based on real boardgames or made in that style for the phone, but I haven't played enough of most to unequivocally recommend as yet. The ones I've got that are based on real games and might be worth a look though are are Pandemic, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Mr Jack Pocket, Lost Cities, Splendor, Sushi Go, Ticket to Ride, Tsuro and Cthulhu/Star Realms.

Offline Smellavision

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 12, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
Ticket to Ride
Agricola
Colt Express
Splendor

Agricola is good fun, and I'm playing a lot of that with the Chatterboxers - happy to have a Soc game if anyone's up for it.

Ticket to ride and Colt Express are from the same developer and have really bad online game arranging. Good for playing with randoms not so good for playing with friends.

Splendor and Colt Express seems only playable 'live' - the others are all asynchronous

Carcassonne is the best though.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 12, 2017, 05:06:55 PM »
Always fancied that and Catan so will give them a go as might be easier to pick up the rules and ideas via the apps and then decide if I want to get physical, physical...etc etc.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #4: January 12, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »
I quite like Le Harve, Inland Port, Suburbia, Xenoshyft, Galaxy of Trian, Twilight Struggle, Agricola, Plague Inc.. Galaxy Trucker, Small World, Ticket to Ride, Pathfinder, Colt Express, Elder Sign, Patchwork, Splendor.... but there are many...

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 18, 2017, 04:35:10 AM »
Downloaded Lords of Waterdeep last night and had a quick game against the AI. S'good, innit?

I know iPad versions rob board games of their physicality, which is 50% of their appeal, but I do like the ambient sounds they play. And not having to set up / tidy the board away myself.

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 18, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
It is but unfortunately, without a chat function, all online play really adds is turn waiting so don't bother

Offline Smellavision

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 19, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
For Waterdeep my username is  Smellavision if anyone fancies a game.