Username: Password:

Author Topic: Running RPGs for teenagers.  (Read 541 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Running RPGs for teenagers.
« Topic Start: May 23, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »
Alongside my regular Monday game I have, for the last three weeks, also been running a weekly game for my son and four of his friends. They are all thirteen and OMG they are so bloody loud. Still, when they remember that they are supposed to be playing a game and pay attention it's working better than I expected.

I am running Edge of the Empire for this group too, which has mostly worked. They all figured out how it works easy enough and they have no problem with the odd dice. This means that they can all come up with crazy plans I can can tell them what sort of roll they will need to make and it all makes sense, which is exactly what you want. Unfortunately the dice also need a bit of interpreting after the roll so I end up having to negotiate with the players to determine what they are trying to do, and then negotiating with them again to figure out what actually happened. If I run any more Star Wars with them I will be using a much more straight forward system.

The game has been pretty mental with the players trying to navigate their way through the criminal underworld of Coruscant to find a traitorous Bounty Hunter. Breaking & entering, death sticks, gambling, arms dealers. One of the kids made a Kane&Lynch joke at one point. Good wholesome family fun.

Anyway, it's been a great success so far. For various reasons four of the five players don't get out of the house much to see their friends outside of school so it seems to be doing them some good too. It is bloody exhausting to run, but just one more session of Star Wars to go and then they are all off for a game of Traveller with one of the other dads.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Running RPGs for teenagers.
« Reply #1: May 24, 2017, 04:24:22 AM »
That's cool an' all but if a dad is gonna run Traveller, why did you start with the  soft stuff? Like- you wanna bring your son up right, you start him on a system where his character can die in character generation!

That does sound pretty awesome though. I ran a skinned down version of DnD for some young'uns at one point. They were goblins trying to steal fireworks from a sunken ship. It was pretty rad.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Running RPGs for teenagers.
« Reply #2: May 24, 2017, 06:41:21 AM »
That's cool an' all but if a dad is gonna run Traveller, why did you start with the  soft stuff? Like- you wanna bring your son up right, you start him on a system where his character can die in character generation!

I was running Classic Traveller for Owen back in February, he did indeed die many times in character generation. He loved it! After a couple hours he had three surviving, mustered out characters, one with a ship. He realised that they all had Medic-1 or Medic-2 so he decided that they were space paramedics and their Scout/courier was an FTL ambulance. We played a few sessions with that crew and he seemed to enjoy it, certainly he occasionally bugs me to get back to it. Honestly I'm finding Traveller a little dry these days.