Username: Password:

Author Topic: Nintendo Classic Mini: SNES Edition  (Read 2373 times)

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
Nintendo Classic Mini: SNES Edition
« Topic Start: June 26, 2017, 02:01:46 PM »
We all knew it was real, but now it's actually real.

Yes, I'm excited. Excited as hell. More excited than I probably should be about the opportunity to play games I've already emulated a million times over on a tiny piece of plastic that's designed expressly to make suckers like me excited.

Don't fucking care. I'm having one.

Interesting to see it's £30 more than the NES Mini for nine less games. Then again, I've never really cared for NES-era titles - I have limits to what I'll play, bizarrely enough - so I don't mind. Plus, some clever person will hack it, I can fill it full of ROMs and then I'll have my own ultimate SNES to mess about with. Also, Star Fox 2, which is a pretty interesting thing; means Nintendo's overcome the legal problems surrounding re-releasing games that made use of the Super FX chip, at least.

Anyone else care? Anyone besides maybe Al? The sensible adults among you, perhaps? :D

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nintendo Classic Mini: SNES Edition
« Reply #1: June 26, 2017, 02:08:34 PM »
I didn't think I was interested but then I looked at the games...

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1238330.html

There are some genuine actual classics in there.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #2: June 26, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
Not fussed about the two Kirby games or Final Fantasy III. Everything else ranges from 'really decent' to 'stone-cold classic'. Only flaw? You can't play Secret of Mana properly (three-player) without a multitap... :D

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #3: June 27, 2017, 11:39:04 AM »
... aaaaaaaand that's mine ordered. Two, actually - one from the Nintendo store, one as a back-up from Smyths which, if both come through, I'll give to my friend as a Christmas present. So, a win-win.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4: June 27, 2017, 11:47:53 AM »
... aaaaaaaand that's mine ordered. Two, actually - one from the Nintendo store, one as a back-up from Smyths which, if both come through, I'll give to my friend as a Christmas present. So, a win-win.

I thought they weren't released until September? Have I missed them already?

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #5: June 27, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »
Not released until September, no. But pre-orders went live yesterday (GAME, Smyths, Amazon) and today (Nintendo store, Amazon with more stock). Chances are if you don't pre-order, you'll be stuck. Then again, there's meant to be more stock this time around than with the NES Mini, so you might be okay... until the scalpers get into the shops on launch day, anyway.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6: June 27, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
Not released until September, no. But pre-orders went live yesterday (GAME, Smyths, Amazon) and today (Nintendo store, Amazon with more stock). Chances are if you don't pre-order, you'll be stuck. Then again, there's meant to be more stock this time around than with the NES Mini, so you might be okay... until the scalpers get into the shops on launch day, anyway.

Fuck sake. Well that's sapped a good deal of my enthusiasm for it.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #7: June 28, 2017, 09:32:16 AM »
To be fair, you should know this by now. Nintendo could slap their logo on a fresh turd and it'd sell out in minutes as soon as pre-orders become available. It might be alright when the thing comes out, you just don't know. Not like it's a priority for them... they're clearly just doing it as a cash grab because they know folk want it.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8: June 28, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
To be fair, you should know this by now. Nintendo could slap their logo on a fresh turd and it'd sell out in minutes as soon as pre-orders become available. It might be alright when the thing comes out, you just don't know. Not like it's a priority for them... they're clearly just doing it as a cash grab because they know folk want it.

Well Amazon are going to email me if they get some more, I'll try and buy one then.

Offline Lt. Eggman5

• Way Cool Jr.
  • Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Iain Radio!
« Reply #9: July 30, 2017, 06:59:04 AM »
Kirby's Superstar is pretty good, like all Kirby's antics pretty damn charming.

One thing I would recommend is getting yourself a 4x3 CRT, unless they've been messing around with them resolution wise I found when I hooked up my SNES that the games look far better in their natural habitat rather than totally exposed on a modern HD set. They're basically free on Gumtree, all you need is to expand your gaming area to fit a hulking great box.

Come to think of it they probably aren't using RF or SCART outputs... Is the cartridge flap actually functional? No YOU Google it.

That is a pretty good selection of games. Some real all time greats in there - Contra 3, Donkey Kong Country & Mario World would all still rank high in any list. Mario RPG is fun too, spesh as it was never released over this way.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #10: July 31, 2017, 07:56:55 AM »
Come to think of it they probably aren't using RF or SCART outputs... Is the cartridge flap actually functional? No YOU Google it.

Nope, it's HDMI only and the shell's solid - the front controller ports flip down to reveal where the controllers actually plug in, though I'm unsure if they're still using those weird Wii-shape plugs that Nunchuks had or not. I hope they are, to be honest, as that means I've already got a third controller from when I got a Wii SNES pad from Japan.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #11: September 26, 2017, 04:37:23 AM »
Mine shipped from Smyth's yesterday, five days early.

That said, it's coming via Yodel so I suspect I won't see it until October 2019.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 30, 2017, 05:02:14 PM »
Enjoyed playing with mine last night, granted I have a retropie but I never use it, the full pad setup of this and save states already makes me think I've use this much more. Looks ace too.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 03, 2017, 05:38:25 AM »
I know this is a bloody obvious thing to say, but Super Mario World is such a great game. Not even taking the rose-tint into account - if you came to this fresh today it's still a joy to play. It looks lovely, sounds incredible and the gameplay is so tight, even by 2017 standards.

I played the first level of Starfox, which definitely hasn't aged as well but was still fun. And I'm excited to give Secret of Mana a crack, and Super Metroid, and Donkey Kong, and Super Mario RPG, and... what a great little buy this was. Yes you could have done it all with ROMS, but there's something about holding the actual pad, and seeing the actual console. (And you will see the actual console. The cables are about three feet long, so you have to drag the console across the carpet to play it sitting down.)

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #14: October 03, 2017, 06:01:39 AM »
(And you will see the actual console. The cables are about three feet long, so you have to drag the console across the carpet to play it sitting down.)

I get the impression that everyone moaning about this (not you MPH, you made an observation) has either forgotten what it was like to own a SNES or never had one. You had to do this before... at least, I did. People are spoilt by wireless controllers. I saw a photo yesterday of some guy's living room where he was a good eight feet away from a massive TV, except the distance made it look not much bigger than a large monitor. Who sits that far away from their TV to play games?!*

I played StarFox to unlock StarFox 2 and boy, that hasn't aged well at all. My son saw it and I tried to explain to him that this was cutting edge back when I was a kid - his interest lasted all of about two minutes. He liked Castlevania a lot more...

* Quite a few people, I imagine. Just me that has a 55" 4K TV on their desk, two feet away from the seat then. :)