Username: Password:

Author Topic: Your Games Completed of 2018  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Your Games Completed of 2018
« Topic Start: January 25, 2018, 04:18:58 AM »
I refuse to believe that we're almost at the end of January and Mart hasn't completed a couple of dozen games by now.  Anyhow:

JAN
Batman: The Telltale Series

Broadly, exactly the same as every other Telltale title. What gameplay there is consists of one of three things: either an inconsequential story choice, or a QTE it's almost impossible to fail, or an insultingly easy "detective" section where you have to examine everything and link obvious items together. And it's all held together by the ancient Telltale engine that splutters and hitches on even the simplest of scenes and generally does its best to undermine what little dramatic tension the game has otherwise achieved.

So it's a little embarrassing to admit that, actually, I quite enjoyed this: the story isn't terrible, the voice acting surprisingly good, and the whole thing's pretty pacey.  At 90 minutes or so, the episodes are the perfect length, and I quite enjoyed taking the opportunity to play Bruce Wayne as a bleeding heart liberal and Batman as an unhinged murderous psychopath. 

At this point I'm not sure why anyone actually buys Telltale games - they're all the same, they churn them out on a production line and they all wind up on PS+ sooner or later - but as a freebie this is a reasonable way to while away a few evenings.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
Re: Your Games Completed of 2018
« Reply #1: January 25, 2018, 04:40:33 AM »
I refuse to believe that we're almost at the end of January and Mart hasn't completed a couple of dozen games by now.

Shit, you're right. Serves me right for spreading my time among about four different games at once (Mario Odyssey, Slayaway Camp, Iconclasts and something work-related that none of you know about yet). Must try harder. :D

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 25, 2018, 05:40:18 AM »
I'm going to try to actually do this, for once. Starting with:

Breath of the Wild
Finished the 2nd DLC last night, so I'll call this done. I have six shrines left to find, but even cross-referencing my map with a map of all 120 shrines, I can't seem to find them. I may go back eventually and track them down, but for now, my playtime ends at 150 hours.

Now that the dust has settled (can't believe it's been out almost a year!) I'm still convinced this is one of, if not the, best games I've ever played. It's made all other open world games, with their flashing icons and collectibles, seem a bit silly. I did have moments of missing the linear story and grand dungeons of previous Zeldas, but they were quickly washed away by the sheer joy of exploring this living, breathing world. An absolute triumph.

Offline Prole

• Administrator
  • Empirical
  • Nunc tempus est ut terrore
    • MSN Messenger - Prole
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3: January 27, 2018, 12:24:01 PM »
I'm going to try this again before my enthusiasm inevitably wanes because I'm not rinsing all of the trophies from enough games.  Again.

Anyway!

January

Rogue Trooper Redux  No.  No no no.  I mean, yes: I've got the platinum trophy but... ugh!  Horrible.

I have relatively fond memories of the original.  I was pleasantly surprised by it.  I remember it as being a nice, empowering game about slaughtering a load of soldiers who weren't any sort of competition.  The shooting was nice and snappy, as was moving in to / out of cover.  Camera worked.  All that sort of stuff.

When I saw it for a tenner on a recent PSN sale I caved into a wave of 2000 AD related nostalgia because I remembered the game as being good enough to throw a tenner at.  Now though... if you told me that this was, in fact, a shit sequel and not a remake of the original I'd believe you.  Rogue feels ponderous on the move,  The cover system is now clunky and haphazard.  The over-the-shoulder camera is no good for aiming if you pan left as Rogue's body now fills the reticule.  You can't swap shoulders to aim over, unless you play one of the godawful online maps in mirror mode, then everything is mirrored (including the shoulder which the camera looks over) and you still have the same problem.  You can't really be in cover and aim reliably for most of the time.  The list of annoyances goes on, really.

I persisted because I'm bloody minded like that, and also it was OK to grind out a level if I was having a conversation with people on PSN, but my God!  When I got my final trophy today thanks to a very kind person who let me shoot them online I was so pleased that I could consider this complete.  Not in the good "that was fun and I had a great time" way; more like "thank FUCK for that" before hitting the delete option in the smallest amount of button presses possible.  Just sheer relief that I was no longer compelled to hack my way through this awful shit.

Avoid this.  Avoid it all costs.  Never pay money for it, and try to avoid it even if you get it for free.  It's a really bad update of a game that used to be good.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4: January 27, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
Thanks for the warning! I likely would have bought it at some point.

Offline Prole

• Administrator
  • Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - Prole
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5: January 28, 2018, 05:13:42 AM »
No problem.  I played this terrible game so you don't gave to.

If I save just one person, then it's all worth it. ;)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6: January 28, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »
No problem.  I played this terrible game so you don't gave to.

If I save just one person, then it's all worth it. ;)

I think I still have the Wii version if I want to replay it.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #7: January 29, 2018, 05:00:58 AM »
Just in under the wire...

JANUARY
Four Last Things - Silly little point and click adventure game that's on Steam, but I played the mobile version. It's like someone took a Terry Gilliam animation from Monty Python and turned it into a game; it uses a tonne of public domain classical paintings to create its world and it's quite funny. Rather short though. Still, I enjoyed it for what it was, if only for the drunk old man who kept shouting 'Piss time!' every time I gave him a mug of ale.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #8: February 01, 2018, 10:22:21 AM »
JANUARY
Four Last Things

FEBRUARY
Slayaway Camp - I guess I enjoyed this, but it got to the point where I felt like it was going on for far too long (there are about 150 levels, not including bonus extras, deleted scenes and 'NC-17' stages) and I ended up looking up solutions just to whiz through to the end. Turns out, that's not even enough to earn some of the trophies - I still need about 13,000 coins to unlock all the killpacks and haven't killed 666 people yet - so there's grinding to be done. I really don't think I can be fucked, to be honest. Still, it's an easy Platinum so I could just write an evening off... bah.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #9: February 06, 2018, 06:01:17 AM »
Dammit, I did end up Platinuming Slayaway Camp in the end. Just now, actually. But I used save uploading/downloading to do it, since I couldn't be fucked grinding out all the coins - had enough for one killpack, bought it, downloaded old save from cloud, bought the next one, downloaded old save from cloud and so on. Gah. So lazy.  <_<

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #10: February 08, 2018, 06:12:30 PM »
JANUARY
Four Last Things

FEBRUARY
Slayaway Camp
Rise & Shine - Despite a repetitive hard crash bug in the middle of the game, I managed to finish this after all and get all bar one of the trophies (there's no Platinum). Turns out the last trophy is for finishing the game in Iron Man mode... that's not a harder difficulty, that's playing the game through again on ONE LIFE. Yeah, fuck that, life's too short. Was okay, but much shorter than I expected and not much fun - all the challenge was because it was intentionally hard and the controls a bit annoying. Glad I only paid just over £3 for it.

Small Radios, Big Televisions - Like someone took an episode of Look Around You (or any typically grainy 70s Open University episode), dipped it in hallucinogens and then made a very slight puzzle game out of it. It's a very odd experience, not really a puzzler because there's only really a couple of levels with anything close to a puzzle in it; you just move around through rooms in a building, looking for tapes and then playing them to visit tiny 'worlds' with keys in to collect that open doors. Or not. Sometimes the worlds don't have anything in until you fuck up the tape by rubbing it on a magnet somewhere in the level, at which point it distorts and changes into something else. Big thing? It's quite creepy in places. Not scary, but some of the distortions made me feel a little bit uncomfortable for some weird reason. Not sure I'd recommend it, even though it's not bad, but it's definitely a thing that I've played and got all the trophies for.

Her Majesty's Spiffing: The Empire Staggers Back - A 'comedy' point and click adventure game based entirely on the idea of Brexit being a terrible idea that sends us into space to bring back colonialism and a huge amount of bad cultural stereotypes. Maybe I'm the wrong audience for comedy games, because I can't remember the last time a game made me laugh when it intended to, but this just wasn't funny at all. It was also ridiculously short and just... well, stopped as something was about to happen. Then there was a tease about there being a sequel if sales were good (sigh) and that's it. Disappointing, despite looking funny and pretty in the trailer.

That's all three games I bought in the 'Under £4' sale completed in the space of a week now. Two of them were disappointing, one was fine for what it was but that wasn't much. Maybe I shouldn't have spent that tenner.  <_<

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 12, 2018, 07:25:12 AM »
Hmm, almost two months in and I've only completed two games... and one of those was a relatively short indie title. Maybe this is why I don't normally keep track.

January:
Breath of the Wild

February:
CelesteAbsolutely lovely. The soundtrack is wonderful, the platforming is fantastically satisfying and, crucially, it's just easy enough for me to actually finish. I died over 1000 times throughout my 6-hour play time (I basically ignored the strawberries after a certain point), but I never felt frustrated. Every death was a learning, every life a few millimetres closer to making the required jump. I suppose this is what fans of rock-hard games actually appreciate about them, but this is the first time I've felt it.

Offline Prole

• Administrator
  • Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - Prole
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12: February 13, 2018, 01:35:09 AM »
Thanks for the Celeste write-up MPH.  I've been interested in this for a little while and I think that I may get it.

What do you think, though?  Worth full price or wait for a sale?

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 13, 2018, 04:54:36 AM »
I'd say it's worth full price. I got 6 hours playtime out of it, every second of which was thoroughly enjoyable. And I barely scratched the surface of the deeper game – there are hundreds of strawberry collectibles in clearly signposted, dedicated rooms that I ignored, largely because I was having enough trouble with just finishing the required bits! But the few I did grab were enjoyable challenges.  And then after I finished, something opens up which is a bit of a mystery to me, but clearly means I missed other things in my playthrough as well.

On top of that, it manages to tell a surprisingly poignant story involving mental health, and overcoming/learning to live with your inner demons.

And I know I've mentioned the soundtrack, but the soundtrack is bloody lovely.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 13, 2018, 06:29:37 AM »
How child-friendly is it in terms of content? I don’t really know what the story is about so is there anything particularly adult or disturbing in there?