Username: Password:

Author Topic: Your Games Completed of 2018  (Read 1409 times)

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
Re: Your Games Completed of 2018
« Reply #30: April 02, 2018, 08:41:04 AM »
I have the day off so I decided to give Doki Doki Literature Club a shot and boy was that a tremendous four hours.

It's a game that I would absolutely recommend - but it comes with some hefty caveats. It will help if you have some familiarity with harem anime or other visual novels (both their general content and mechanics, even if you've not played any others; you've got to be willing to meet the genre halfway on its long periods of clicking through and reading dialogue), and it's also probably not a game to play around normies. The game itself has a content warning ("This game is not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed") which does give away the fact that it has some dark turns, particularly one scene quite early in the game.

But I was left speechless by the sheer audacity and creativity of this thing multiple times. I was sitting alone in the house, my jaw dropped, laughing out loud at some of the things it does.

This is a special game, perfectly suited to the medium in which it's told and probably impossible to tell as effectively in any other.

Oh, and it's free.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: April 02, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »
You lost me at Anime.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #32: April 02, 2018, 02:22:30 PM »
That's kind of fair enough but also kind of like writing off The Beginner's Guide because it's first person.

The anime-ness is a big part of why DDLC works as well as it does; there are tropes and archetypes it can use as shorthand - the childhood friend, the overly familiar upperclassman, the reluctant new club member - that not only make the opening ~30 minutes more efficient, but set up expectations that can be exploited later. Strip away the anime/VN presentation and the game would have to construct this all from nothing, in a way that's likely to require a lot of dense exposition or an overly lengthy introduction.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 03, 2018, 03:40:32 PM »
JAN
Batman: The Telltale Series

FEB
Monster Hunter: World

MAR
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Thimbleweed Park

APR
RiME

I was a bit disparaging about this yesterday in the PWB thread but it redeemed itself somewhat by (a) not outliving its welcome - it was shorter than I expected; and (b) having a surprisingly good ending. I think a second playthrough would probably reveal all sorts of hints and clues that I missed first time through, as the real purpose of the game kind of eluded me right to the very end.  Whether that's a great reveal or poor foreshadowing, I'm not sure.  But it was an enjoyable enough game, and if you're in the mood for some mellow block-puzzles any time soon then you've probably got this waiting for you thanks to PS+.