Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Sega Dreamcast  (Read 472 times)

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
The Sega Dreamcast
« Topic Start: January 29, 2018, 06:16:29 AM »
So had a look through the boards and seen some mention of this but decided to make a thread. I've always been a huge Dreamcast fan, had mine since getting it for Christmas upon release, still got that and an addition machine I acquired when I thought my original had broke due to the reset issue.

The reason for this thread, is I've almost been exclusively playing Dreamcast since late December, I've been part of the Dreamcast Junkyard facebook group for years now so always around news and talk of the console in some form, but recently got a VGA box and got that rigged up so been playing it in 480p res, and am in the process of ordering the Dreampi thing so I can play the online games. I also recently got Flashback which was one of the 15 of so games released for the console last year. I've kinda become jadded with modern gaming, which isn't new as I've been through this before, but for the time being just enjoying returning to games I know and can mostly pick up without having to worry about tons of crap, or game invites from people and then feeling bad about declining them. Also am just fascinated by the amount of fans for the DC and the history and aura of it being Sega's last machine and all the cancelled projects.

What were peoples favourite Dreamcast games? Anyone still got theres and when was the last you played it?

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Re: The Sega Dreamcast
« Reply #1: January 29, 2018, 06:22:47 AM »
(mod note - just moving this to The Billiard Room as I think the intention was for that forum to cover retro stuff and leave the main gaming forum for contemporary gaming. Hope you're OK with that)

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #2: January 29, 2018, 06:43:26 AM »
The Dreamcast, for me, is all about Skies of Arcadia. It might have been my first JRPG, and it's still my favourite by a considerable distance - it's the only one I've ever been able to replay all the way through.

Other highlights are the horribly-aged Shenmue, Crazy Taxi and Power Stone (I'm not such a big fan of 2). There's also Headhunter, a (EU-only?) third-person action game that's somehow so much more than the sum of its janky parts and has one of my favourite game soundtracks.

I still have my launch model, a few pads and more VMUs than any person needs (but damn, those Shenmue save files are huge). It hadn't been hooked up for a long time, but I finally dug the SCART cable out the other week and now I just need to find the time to sit down and play something.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 29, 2018, 06:56:20 AM »
Shenmue 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Chu Chu Rocket, Metropolis Street Racer, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, Rez, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Ikaruga, The House of the Dead 2, Bangai-O....

It was the best console.  Yes, most of those games have been remade or superseded (with the notable exception of Chu Chu Rocket: where IS our four-player online version of that?) but every single one of those was solid gold, and they were just my personal favourites. There's probably a whole bunch I've forgotten.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #4: January 29, 2018, 07:25:50 AM »
I'm about 80% sure that if broadband internet had been more widely available and reliable during the Dreamcast's lifetime, the machine would have been a sales monster.

Well, maybe if it'd had a better controller.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #5: January 29, 2018, 07:35:21 AM »
My memory is definitely of one of the most consistently solid lineups of any console I recall. The PS2 might have had as many good games, but it also had a mountain of godawful shovelware, something the Dreamcast somehow seemed to manage to avoid.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 29, 2018, 07:52:55 AM »
The one thing that always amazed me about the Dreamcast was that it was the first console to actually give proper 60Hz modes for European versions of games, if you had the telly to support it. For decades we'd had slow, bordered versions of games and just kind of become accustomed to them, then the Dreamcast came along with full-screen, full-speed games and it was amazing. I remember watching the intro to Soul Calibur and just being amazed at how smooth it was.

It's a bit of a moment in time thing (it all became moot a few years later when all the consoles transitioned to HD) but it definitely helped the Dreamcast to feel ahead of its time.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 29, 2018, 10:29:18 AM »
I'm about 80% sure that if broadband internet had been more widely available and reliable during the Dreamcast's lifetime, the machine would have been a sales monster.

Well, maybe if it'd had a better controller.

I was in the minority of being a tad disappointed that the recently announced pads from Retro-bit, don't feature a slightly revised or altered pad, still look great and will most likely get a wireless one if they aren't horrible tat, but just a shame there is no revised design, the triggers in particular are even worse when you've moved to the console having been using a 360 or x1 controller.

Interesting to read recently that the Dreamcast can actually accept and input directional movement from a second stick, hence the dual sticks for Virtua On. So the games could technically have been made to work with dual sticks, had the pad design adapted. Seamus Blackley (might be spelt wrong) recently told me on Twitter he was heavily influenced by the DC pad when designing the Xbox original pad, and he strongly hinted that is why the duke redesign has that screen in the middle of that that plays the start up splash.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #8: January 29, 2018, 11:15:50 AM »
It is kind of surprising that nobody else has put a context-sensitive screen on the controller since, with the improvements in screen technology and the ability to make them touch-sensitive now. The closest we've got is the lightbar on the PS4 pad, when developers bother to make it change colour as an indicator for some in-game information.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 29, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »
Well, the Wii U kind of took the "screen in a controller" concept to its logical extreme, and we know how well that did.  In fact I often think of the Wii U in the same way as the Dreamcast - another console with a small but incredibly consistent library that never achieved the sales successes it deserved.

With the Dreamcast, I always wonder how badly it was affected by piracy.  It was absurdly easy to run copied games on the thing - all you needed was a boot disc, which were widely available anyway, and then one of the Dreamcast magazines even managed to give one away on the cover not realising what it could do.  The proprietary GD-ROM format was really just a large-capacity CD, and pirates found it easy enough to rip superfluous video files and splash screens out of games to get them to fit on CD. Eventually they just worked out how to put the boot format on the copied games, then you could just download full games and run them straight on the console. I don't think there's ever been a system with so few barriers to piracy.

Offline physicianvii

• An idiot child
  • Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 29, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »
But you look at it another way, it was a system with few barriers to homebrew.  So you get to do ridiculous things like NES emulation, games like Cave Story, and even actual Linux on the DC. 

And I had the broadband adapter, it was glorious.

Plus a keyboard and mouse to play its FPS games. 

I consider the DC the last good console.  Respect.  Sure, it had wonky, poor games like the Sonic 3d messes, but it had Chu Chu Rocket.  Chu MF Chu Rocket.

Edit: oh, and don't forget Playstation emulation.  Sure, "officially" you got three games, but there were homebrew mods to let you (attempt to) play anything.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 12, 2018, 11:19:38 AM »
So finally got my dreampi set up over the weekend after a few snaps it seems to be all working, not had a game of anything as not been on at the same time as the people I set it up to play with, but been able to browse the game lobbies and queue for games to start etc. Very bizarre feeling to be seeing all those previously inaccessible menus and stuff again.