Username: Password:

Author Topic: I Love Pwb!  (Read 894 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I Love Pwb!
« Topic Start: February 11, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »
Play
C&C: Tiberian Sun - It's very old now and I'm not sure I'm enjoying the actual game but I've been wanting to replay this for years so it's good to get it out of my system. The FMV is truly awful.

D&D - I'm playing in a Whitehack game just now. I'm playing an asshole magic using Thief called Ruberg. I expect someone will kill me fairly soon. The Star of the show is Ben's character, a myconid called Shroom who is built like a sumo wrestler and has the gentle curiosity and enthusiasm of a young elephant.

More D&D - I will soon be running a new Whitehack game for my main group and a 13th Age game for the teenagers. I once told Luscan that I didn't like D&D; that me is gone now.

Want
I am contemplating jumping into D&D 5th Edition. It's growing faster than any RPG ever has and is going to be around for a long time yet. It's like the Wii only instead of housewives jumping in on the youngster's hobby, this is youngsters joining in with what was assumed by many to be a fading niche of small hobby. This week Matthew Coleville's kickstarter for a 5e supplement broke $1,000,000 in a day. A few months ago the whole gaming industry was only valued at $35 million. So I figure if 5e is going to be 90% of RPGs for the next ten years it would be remiss of me not to run it for the group of teenagers I run for.

In addition to all that, Mike Mearls (lead designer on 5e, so take this with a cup of salt) was talking in a video chat about the audience for 5e now being unrecognisable compared to the a fitness you had even three years ago. For unrecognisable read, young and diverse. He went on to say that he's really excited to see what sort of content that audience produce when they progress to that in five years. Sounds good to me.

Bin
Illness, infected toenails, potentially broken toes, headaches, disabilities, exhaustion... The family's had it pretty bad over the last few months. Nothing too serious but I could really do with a rest.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
Re: I Love Pwb!
« Reply #1: February 11, 2018, 05:41:14 PM »
A few months ago the whole gaming industry was only valued at $35 million

What?  :blink:

Play

Monster Hunter World - I know people will disagree with me but...there is no grinding in this game, the game is literally called Monster Hunter, if you are hunting monsters you are simply playing the game. There's a story and it's not bad IMO but I'd never reccomend the game for it. Gameplay wise it retains everything that made it such a portable gaming gem where you had a pocket sized dimension in your PSP and a whole ton of superbly designed monsters to fight in it only a much grander scale.

It's always been about the Monsters and unlike Pokemon, we hardly ever get a new Gen of Monsters where we go 'WTF is this?', they look like dinosaurs and dragons mostly, but with enough creativity to them to not make them generic, they have their own mannerism's and AI that really makes them feel like actual monsters and not some Dark Souls type Boss Fight. There's a big spikey blood red feral dog like creature, who I saw on an expedition in the Rotten Vale dragging another dead monster inside his jaws to his lair...I wasn't even hunting him, he just lives their and that was his prey (It was as big as he was...). Or how they regularly fight over territory mid hunt, if the Anjanath (T-Rex that breathes fire) is ever caught trespassing on Rathalos' little spot he can be picked up and thrown of the ledge like a sack of potatoes and you get to reap the reward from the immense damage this causes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTTO7Oz4bCg
(The ecology of MH is so fucked up btw I have no idea how a world exists with these all 'co-existing' together.)

Follow a Monster's footprints to learn their habitats, study their movements to find an opening (Rathian is a prime target after her aerial front-flip tail whip), craft tools like pitfall traps from scavenged Ivy and Spider Webs to get a huge advantage (the reason Human's make the best hunters is that we are smart enough to do this after all) and then absolutely destroy the monster with all your resources and knowledge, this is the very essence of what the entire series is about.

Final Fantasy XIV - Stormblood - New raid is out, last raid was about FFV, this one is about FFVI and yes, you do fight Kefka, the first fight is against the Phantom Train itself, and it's pretty cool. If they're doing these raids in order then I guess we're fighting Sephiroth last, I'm not sure how I feel about that, Exdeath and Kefka are one thing, but Sephiroth is too big to just be a cameo, I want XIV to retain some semblance of it's own identity...

Want

Can't remember right now tbh. Gaming wise, I guss I can't reallly ask for more than Monster Hunter, I would like to buy Dissidia but I don't even barely have time for FFXIV and MHW together, the god awful lag issues in the beta also put me off the launch anyway.

Oh, they released Kingdom Hearts 3 trailers showcasing some Monsters Inc stuff, presumably to remind us the game still exists, I want it but...it's been so long that I'll want this when I know for sure we're evengetting it in this lifetime. It's cool that Utada is doing the theme for it again. :)

Bin

Nothing atm.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2: February 11, 2018, 06:04:20 PM »
A few months ago the whole gaming industry was only valued at $35 million

What?  :blink:

Sorry, Tabletop RPG industry, not all gaming

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 11, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
I have a pretty strong dislike of Mearls for a wide range of interesting reasons that are probably not worth going into for any real length of time.

Also, fun fact, Bonus Actions are neither a bonus, or an action. A fun example of the conversational tone of the 5e core books that makes them such a joy to work with :D

Anyway. PWB.

P -
Subnautica. It's very good. A game that used its early access time wonderfully.
Hexcells. It's also very good. A game that, if you like puzzle games, you should be playing.

W -
For my holiday to be a good one!

B -
Winter. Fuck off, already.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4: February 11, 2018, 07:00:02 PM »
I have a pretty strong dislike of Mearls for a wide range of interesting reasons that are probably not worth going into for any real length of time.

Also, fun fact, Bonus Actions are neither a bonus, or an action. A fun example of the conversational tone of the 5e core books that makes them such a joy to work with :D

I'd be more than happy to read more about this. Particularly before I decide to drop £75 on 5e.  :D Maybe take it to the D&D thread or elsewhere if you like...

P -
Subnautica. It's very good. A game that used its early access time wonderfully.

Bloodaxe Jnr is a big fan of Subnautica.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 11, 2018, 07:05:30 PM »
Taking a shower every morning before work in this Weather is absolute bullshit.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 11, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »
I'd be more than happy to read more about this. Particularly before I decide to drop £75 on 5e.  :D Maybe take it to the D&D thread or elsewhere if you like...

Be careful what you wish for. I feel a Mirror's Edge 2 post coming on.

Also, my fear of oceans means that like... subnautica is basically a survival horror game for me at this point. The first time I met a Reaper Leviathan, it latched onto the front of my submarine and shook it around like a dog with a chew toy. I screamed and shouted and swore.

« Reply #7: February 12, 2018, 04:47:13 AM »
There's a story and it's not bad IMO but I'd never recommend the game for it.

I was intrigued by the 'zoologist's investigating an island' angle and being able to trap and keep the monsters. Didn't sound like this was a completely viable play style though and I haven't ever managed to get on with MH.

Play The Flame in the Flood -- only played one journey/death so far. Seems more forgiving/intuitive than the only other survival game I've played (Don't Starve) but still has a lot going on. Will persevere. 

Want Celeste but will probably wait for a sale.

Bin Fortnite. Tried to move it somewhere so it was less visible in an effort to play something else but it was still my default so had to uninstall it again. Rinsed the battle pass which was kind of a grind towards the end then started just playing games again. Feel I've got to a point where I probably won't get any better at the game and there's not much new to discover. It's crazily addictive if it gets hooks in; the games are relatively quick and the rush of the late stage game (even, to be honest, victories in early game battles) makes it crazily compelling. Anyway, binned again.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 12, 2018, 05:07:17 AM »
I was intrigued by the 'zoologist's investigating an island' angle and being able to trap and keep the monsters. Didn't sound like this was a completely viable play style though and I haven't ever managed to get on with MH.

Don't think it was on here but I remember reading something by someone who was playing Monster Hunter with his kid watching and in order to avoid upsetting them he ended up using the Lance and pretending he was giving the monsters injections. 

Anyway!

Play

Monster Hunter World. Which for me is firmly up there in "best game ever" territory: it's the best version of pretty much my favourite game series of all time.  The streamlining is a complete success, removing some of the drudgery without ever compromising the core of the game which remains, as it ever was, fighting big monsters and turning them into hats.  I'm slightly concerned about its longevity - it's only got 30-odd large monsters, compared to MH4U's 80+ - but then at the 35-hour mark, I'm only near the beginning of High Rank so I've got aaaages to go yet, and I'm probably just being silly.  I'd like to see a big expansion down the line adding new monsters, areas and G-Rank, but for now there's plenty here to keep me going.

Fire Emblem Warriors. Early days yet so will reserve judgement for now, but it's basically Hyrule Warriors in new clothes: I'm happy with that, although I don't have the same connection to this franchise so whether it will hold my interest in the same way in the long run remains to be seen.

Thimbleweed Park.  It's been years since I played a graphic adventure that wasn't episodic, so the size and scale of this is blowing my mind a bit - there are just so many interactions between items and characters and so many possible routes to go down.  I guess these games were always like this but I'd just forgotten.  It attempts to guide the player a bit by chunking up the game into "chapters", but there's little to stop you solving most puzzles well in advance of when you need to and keeping focused on the task at hand is a real challenge.  It has its issues - there's no real interaction between your team of characters, so it all feels a bit dry, and the Twin Peaks vibe they're going for isn't that well executed - but it's a pleasure to wallow in nostalgia like this and it's keeping my brain ticking over.

Want

Subnautica looks great.  Wondering whether to hold out for a PS4 release at some point or just jump in on PC: I don't really play PC games much these days but I guess I could dig out the Steam Link and see if I can get things working that way.  The Xbox version is by all accounts a bit of a mess, sadly.

Shadow of the Colossus is tempting, but it's got Christmas sale/next year PS+ written all over it.

Bin

Illness. I'm only just getting my back issues resolved after years of problems and I've gone down with something else.  I need a season pass for my GP surgery.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #9: February 12, 2018, 08:50:36 AM »
PLAY
Picross 3D Round 2 - In an effort to stop sitting at my desk all the bloody time (I work there, but it's where my games are so it's also where I sit for relaxation), I've picked up my 3DS again and gone back to this. It's bloody awesome, and I don't know why I just stopped playing it. Got loads of puzzles left to do before it's done, so I'll be on this for a fair old time yet.

Monster Hunter World - Once the boy gets it for his birthday next week, I'll dive into this with him. I've never been good at MH and always worried that my insistence on using Dual Blades is to blame. They're just so... well, weak. Fast, agile, but ineffectual. Always makes me feel like a support guy, rather than anything doing proper damage. Hopefully, that'll change, but we'll see.

Fortnite - Played this for the first time over the weekend as the boy was also playing it. I am notoriously rubbish at FPS/multiplayer shooting games. I am, however, very good at hiding, as proven by me managing to come 12th one time by hiding under some stairs, then behind a tree, then under a truck and finally in a tiny shed. The mistake was I hid in the shed and didn't think to hide behind the area where the door opened, meaning someone opened it, saw me immediately and shot me in the face. Ah well. Live and learn.

WANT
Motivation to play what I already have - I have more games now, modern ones that demand attention rather than classics asking to be replayed, than I know what to do with. Do I play them though? Do I bollocks. They sit there, on my hard drive, taking up space and not being experienced. I need to stop faffing about and actually play something, rather than just constantly buying new things and then ignoring them. No more games will be bought for my own enjoyment for a while. I just can't justify it. I have to try harder on this.

BIN
Buying new games - See above. Shadow of the Colossus was the last. No more. Not for a while.

Depression - Depression's a bit rubbish, isn't it? Not having much fun, that's for sure.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 12, 2018, 09:04:31 AM »
PLAY
Monster Hunter World - Once the boy gets it for his birthday next week, I'll dive into this with him. I've never been good at MH and always worried that my insistence on using Dual Blades is to blame. They're just so... well, weak. Fast, agile, but ineffectual. Always makes me feel like a support guy, rather than anything doing proper damage. Hopefully, that'll change, but we'll see.

Dual Blades are awesome!  Like you say, you'll be the fastest and most agile member of the team and you'll get six hits in while that Great Sword user's still lumbering about looking for an opening.  Plus if you upgrade to elemental damage later on you'll be laying it on thicker than any other player due to the sheer number of hits you get in.  If they work for you, then go for it, they are far from a support weapon.  Just make sure you spend a bit of time in the training room to work out how to activate Demon mode and Archdemon mode, because that's where your damage comes in.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11: February 12, 2018, 09:41:22 AM »
Depression - Depression's a bit rubbish, isn't it? Not having much fun, that's for sure.

I suspect this might be related to your avoidance of actually playing anything. When I was depressed I couldn't face starting a new game and I just watched TV or played old favourites like Borderlands or EDF which were basically effortless but still rewarding.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #12: February 12, 2018, 10:14:10 AM »

I suspect this might be related to your avoidance of actually playing anything. When I was depressed I couldn't face starting a new game and I just watched TV or played old favourites like Borderlands or EDF which were basically effortless but still rewarding.

That's quite possible. Speaking of TV though...

PLAY WATCH
Dragon Ball - Thanks to playing Dragon Ball FighterZ, I've suddenly had the urge to actually watch Dragon Ball. Never have before. Also, I'm starting right at the beginning, meaning there's 156 episodes between me and DBZ even starting. It's not very good. It's also rather rude... don't think I'd want the boy watching it. Between Goku walking around with his cock out and pissing into rivers, Oolong being a massive pervert and the scene I saw last night with Bulma in the shower while Yamcha has some kind of panic attack outside, I'm a bit surprised. Hmm.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 12, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »
Dual Blades are insane, yeah, always have been but you can't block and need to keep up the aggression so you can feel a bit like one hit from death sometimes. Like Gar says they excel at applying stuff like poison, sleep or even just elemental damage for those weak to it.

Also pretty sure I get everything about online now AMA.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 13, 2018, 05:03:41 AM »
Play - Enter the Gungeon, got this and Golf Story as I merged all my various Nintendo device wallets and had enough for both these games. Not play Golf Story yet due to how much I am loving Gungeon. I have also started playing Spelunky again on the PS Vita too in the last 2 weeks, just 1 or 2 goes a night before bed. My missus has always referred to that as 'Mini Mine Man' and has already started to call Gungeon 'Mini Gun Mine' so the fact it's similar in play mechanic is probably why I am already so in love with it. Also been playing Republic Commando on the Xbox.

Want - A Nintendo Pro Controller - I rejigged the room my gaming gear is in, and actually set my Nintendo Switch dock back up and have actually been enjoying playing it non handheld, so now I want the pro controller as a result.

Bin - The cart slot on my Japanese Sega Saturn. Keeps being temperamental and not recognising the expansion carts, which is the sole reason I have it.