Username: Password:

Author Topic: The PWBeast from the East!  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
The PWBeast from the East!
« Topic Start: March 02, 2018, 04:32:49 AM »
Play
I downloaded Tokaido for my phone. It's a lovely we adaptation of a great game, but playing it solo really highlights just how light the gameplay is. Not in a bad way, there is definitely a place for fun, simple games, but as a solo game this is no more than a distraction. I mostly bought it to add Tokaido to our college gaming lunches.

My new D&D game got off to a great start. One session in and one of the PCs has already had his Intelligence permanently reduced from 9 to 5 while another almost got eaten by a mirror trap. I have a fairly long campaign planned. I don't think many of these first PCs will be surviving to the end.

While Mrs Bloodaxe is away (see Bin) we've been watching TV that she wouldn't like. So me and Bloodaxe Jnr have been working through Babylon 5 season 2 (still awesome) and I've been watching Dirk Gently in the evenings which is amazing.

Want
I was tempted to renew my PlayStation Plus for Bloodborne and Ratchet and Clank, but realistically I probably won't play them.

I bought a bunch of RPG PDFs in the RPGnow.com sale last night with my birthday money. Coriolis, Genesys, supplements for Luther Arkwright and 13th Age and a wonderfully dumb 2e book all about Beholders. So I don't think I need anything new right now.

Bin
Snow. Usually I don't mind too much, wrap up warm and drive sensibly and everything's fine, but this stuff is impossible. Cars drive onto it instead of through it so there is zero grip. It makes rubbish snowballs. The wind is so cold it sucks the live out of any trip outside. Oh, and it's left Mrs Bloodaxe stranded in Bristol since Tuesday. Stranded in a 5-star hotel, but still. Currently she is due back on Sunday afternoon. Fingers crossed.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
Re: The PWBeast from the East!
« Reply #1: March 02, 2018, 05:14:26 AM »
My missus is in Bristol too (uni placement at the hospital birthing unit). She's meant to working tonight and then back tomorrow morning. I won't hold out much hope...

PLAY
Part-Time UFO - HAL Lab's first crack at a mobile game. It's really rather lovely - simple, but lovely. You're a UFO with a crane grabber attachment who has to move objects into place to make people happy. Harder than it sounds, when you get to the later balance-based levels. Worth the £4 I paid for it, easily.

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp - Still playing, still enjoying. Hit my first ever wall for something I want but can't realistically get though, since there's a new 'special' item that costs 350 Leaf Tokens. I only have 175 and there's no real way to get more without buying them. Don't think I will, to be honest.

Ratchet & Clank - Based on the discussion in the PS+ thread. I already finished this ages back, but couldn't face playing it through again for the remaining trophies. It's been long enough now though that I fancy playing it again, so that'll keep me busy for a bit.

Picross 3D 2 - Still plugging through this. Loads of puzzles in there.

WANT
Burnout Paradise Remastered - Already pre-ordered. Can't wait.

Fortnite - Specifically, the motivation to play it. I like it! It was fun. But lately, mainly due to work and family stuff, I'm finding myself getting to the end of the day, sitting on the sofa and doing nothing before deciding to go to bed. Not very productive at all.

BIN
Demanding trophies - I get that there's a niche of people who like them, but my days of spending days/weeks playing one game constantly just to master it enough and earn a trophy for completing it without dying/being hit are over. Getting all the trophies for a game bar one irks me. Gah.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #2: March 02, 2018, 07:07:34 AM »
Play
Hitman, again/still. Trying to SA/SO  the bonus levels, though I still haven't managed to complete the last level of the GotY DLC at all.

Want
Burnout Paradise. Haven't preordered yet, but have been close a couple of times. I played a lot of this on 360, but never got much of the extras; the whole lot for a relatively cheap price is pretty tempting.

God of War. So badly. This is the main reason I've not jumped on Burnout; I know I can only really afford one of the two right now. I've been avoiding trailers since the announcement, to try and go in as unspoiled as possible.

Bin
The cold. We've been relatively lucky in the midlands, and haven't seen the deluge of snow others have (though why they apparently decided not to bother gritting a single road in Birmingham is a total mystery), but it's still been bitterly cold. Summer, plz.

I'd also like to get a Star Wars RPG game going, but finding the time (and players) on top of two weekly 5e sessions and an eight-month-old is tricky, especially given most people I know locally aren't big gamers.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 04, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
Play

Monster Hunter World, the game that keeps on giving. It's mostly the (incredibly grindy) trophies that are driving me now, I think, but it's a good excuse to keep on taking down those giant beasts and turning them into hats.  There's a steady stream of special event quests and weekly goals that give focus to what might otherwise be a fairly aimless post-game, but it still feels like I've got plenty left to do.

Street Fighter V, at which I am amusingly terrible, as ever, and the fact I keep switching between a stick and a fightpad without ever really being comfortable with either certainly isn't helping matters.  There's quite a lot to do, though: the roster of 28 characters is mostly unfamiliar to me and even spending 10 minutes in practice and then running through each of their short story modes is providing hours of fun.  I'm earning enough Fight Money as I go, too, to unlock the other two characters that are currently locked and then maybe also some others besides when they get released.  It all feels a bit more forgiving than SF4 and it's really rather lovely.

Fire Emblem Warriors which is (whisper it) actually a bit dull?  Not a patch on Hyrule Warriors anyway, with a roster made up of clones and a general air of confusion throughout.  Some twat called Xander keeps on dying in every single battle I play and most of the time I don't even know where he is.  Maybe it'll improve once I get into the History Mode but I'm not so sure to be honest.

Want

I remain tempted by Celeste but other than that I can't think of much at the moment. I have a backlog that could stretch to the sun though so that's probably not a bad thing.

Bin

I'm close to the end of Thimbleweed Park which I've enjoyed less and less as it's gone on.  The initial rush of nostalgia has been replaced by a general sense of irritation that it isn't... well... better.  The multi-character mechanic just adds annoying busywork, the plot is fundamentally dull and it's just presented me with one particular puzzle which was such extraordinary bullshit I'm amazed anyone ever worked it out without cheating or simple random guesswork.  Shame really.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 04, 2018, 01:27:59 PM »
What is your HR again atm? At HR49 you fight the infamous Tempered Kirin to release another HR cap and the ablity to hunt Tempered Elders for the top tier decorations. I absolutely destroyed him with the sliding Hammer attack since he fights you on a big sloping arena, pretty overpowered.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 04, 2018, 01:38:33 PM »
HR 28 at the moment, so a fair way to go.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #6: March 04, 2018, 04:44:01 PM »
Fire Emblem Warriors which is (whisper it) actually a bit dull?  Not a patch on Hyrule Warriors anyway, with a roster made up of clones and a general air of confusion throughout.

I really want to go back to this, but I just don't have the energy for this exact reason. Pity. It's worse when we already know that HW is coming, and that's infinitely better in every way.

Bin

I'm close to the end of Thimbleweed Park which I've enjoyed less and less as it's gone on.  The initial rush of nostalgia has been replaced by a general sense of irritation that it isn't... well... better.  The multi-character mechanic just adds annoying busywork, the plot is fundamentally dull and it's just presented me with one particular puzzle which was such extraordinary bullshit I'm amazed anyone ever worked it out without cheating or simple random guesswork.  Shame really.

Try saying that in public without getting torn to shreds by the rabid fans. That's kind of what I hate about the internet - if you disagree with the vocal minority, you get shot down in flames. I've played too many games recently where I've seen idiots going 'OMG THIS IS MY GAME OF THE YEAR AND IT'S ONLY MONTH X' over the most mediocre nonsense. I get it, there's no accounting for taste but that doesn't mean shit things are good...

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #7: March 05, 2018, 02:59:38 AM »
Play

It's all Elite Dangerous, all the time around here. I've bought and sold three ships (a rarely-used Cobra MkIV, my T7 and a Keelback) in the last couple of weeks, all in service of getting my hands on an Alliance Chieftain, which I bought and half outfitted yesterday, and reaching sufficient merits with my chosen faction to get some fancy new shields, which I need another two weeks to reach.

Since rejoining Power Play, however, I've reintroduced to the ganking sociopaths who hang out in control systems shooting down little trade ships for sport. I can kind of respect pirates who mug you for cargo, but these joyless pricks gain nothing from blowing away my little T7 with a fully-specced and engineered Anaconda.

So I'm playing in solo for now.

Want

The usual wishlist stuff on Steam and PSN, including Into The Breach, an isometric tactics game from the FTL developers, and Monster Hunter World. Maybe if I can get on and finish Zelda this month I'll be able to justify one of them.

Bin

I'm ready for this snow to be gone. Going a little stir crazy. Working from home hasn't helped, as I'm getting basically no change of scenery that's not from the cockpit of my Elite fleet.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 05, 2018, 04:10:03 AM »
Play - Mat Hoffman BMX - I've become oddly fascinated with this game over the last 2 weeks, it's not as good as the THPS games, but it's similar and I've never played it and does some things better than that did. I am currently locked out from the next level as need one more goal unlock and am faced with 3 I just can't quite do, so have become consumed by that. I also started Mass Effect Andromeda in the past 2 weeks, fairly interesting game hid behind mainly dull characters and writing, poor combat and awful disjointed controls. 

Want - Microsoft game pass, specifically when Sea of Thieves hits.

Bin - I am going through another crisis of owning too much stuff, my little one is already nearing 16 months and I am nearing the stage where I think it would be great if she had a bigger room for playing in, meaning we revert to the loft room, and my gaming stuff goes back to the box room. However it barely fit in there before and that was before I added tons to it, including a CRT and 3 original xboxes.

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 05, 2018, 05:57:43 AM »
Play

Lots of things! Since deleting Destiny 2, Rocket League, and finally Overwatch, I now play other games! It's great!

Dragon Age: Inquisition - apparently I'm 70-something hours in, though I'm not entirely sure if that's counting idle hours. Either way, I've been really enjoying this, despite definitely not playing it "properly"; I've not really bothered taking control of my party unless absolutely necessary (and even forgot/didn't realise I had to assign their points until about Level 7), and haven't explored the crafting system hardly at all. My only real issue with it, apart from the frequently terrible lip-sync and hilariously inconsistent graphical quality, is that it's stopping me from starting Monster Hunter.

Steamworld Heist - I like this so much I'm now playing it on the PS4 and intermittently the DS (which is what I'd bought it on originally). Such a lovely game.

Steamworld Dig - went back to playing this on 3DS yesterday (after a fairly lengthy hiatus), and once I'd remembered some of the things I could do I actually started to make progress again. I really like it, and am looking forward to the sequel now too.

Also intermittently playing a bit of/have started Styx: Master of Shadows, Celeste, Enter the Gungeon, and a few others, as well as stuff like Solitairica (again, now there's DLC) and Hearthstone (always) on iOS. Variety is the spice of life, and all that.

Want

To finally get into Darkest Dungeon. Again, I'm going to try and get DAI finished first, then play it alongside whatever's next (most likely MH). There's a bunch of other stuff in the backlog I've bought in one of the numerous ridiculous PSN sales that I'd love to get around to too.

As far as new stuff... Sushi Striker looks fun, and I want the Dark Souls and Dragon's Crown (and probably SotC, at some point) PS4 remasters (now I've finally given up on ever playing the PS3 again, and sold it), but I'm struggling to think of much else incoming. Probably for the best though, really.

Oh, and the weather to pick up a bit too. I want to go back to cycling to work asap.

Bin

Work is a bit shit at the moment.

Gaming-wise... Wolfenstein: The New Collossus, maybe? Finished the other day, and enjoyed the characters and cutscenes more than the game, for the most part, which was a bit odd. I have the DLC, as I bought the "Complete Edition" in another one of those sales, but not sure I'll bother with it, at least just yet; it all seems to be more of the same, with characters that I'm not already invested in, and that just focus on specific parts of BJ's power set. Considering my overriding thoughts on the main game, it's not that appealing yet really.

I think I'm almost totally over FPS games at this point anyway though - the recent Doom reboot was great, and Overwatch is fun when you're in a good team (though, as with too many games, the community's general stupidity/toxicity hampers a perfectly good game), but I'd much rather be playing something else these days.

It is possible that this is partially because I'm old and suck now though.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #10: March 05, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »

Were you in any of the betas? I really like what I've played of this. It's quite cool even just cruising around on my own in a sloop, but I think I might have preordered this already if I knew I'd have a semi-regular crew.

« Reply #11: March 05, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
Play: Celeste. It's great, really satisfying to play and so well designed in terms of how responsive it is and how quickly it resets a screen with every death.

It's kind of refreshing to play something which gives the player a move set and doesn't add to it over the course of the game but does do a lot of interesting things with the design of the levels in terms of how the player uses the move set and interacts with the game world presented to them.

Also playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution 2. Still not really getting on with this. Restarted it but can't find the enthusiasm to go exploring the hub. Whenever I get Jensen to poke his nose in somewhere it feels like I've stumbled into the middle of a side quest that I'm fucking up by not having found the thread to start it properly.

Want: Nothing really.

Bin: Still binned Fortnite. Still look at the Battle Royale Reddit more than is necessary but kind of glad not to be playing it anymore.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 05, 2018, 11:22:41 AM »

Were you in any of the betas? I really like what I've played of this. It's quite cool even just cruising around on my own in a sloop, but I think I might have preordered this already if I knew I'd have a semi-regular crew.

Nah I have too limited a window to game to ever fancy playing a game with a high chance of either crashing or your progress being wiped. Do I have you on my xbox friends list? I am big mean bunny on there, same as here if you fancy some games of that as I currently play xbox with exactly one person and we've reached the stage where we are never on at the same time, so I am branching out.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #13: March 05, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
I'd be on PC, but I'm pretty sure it's cross-play. And I haven't done a lot of Beta stuff, just enough for a sense of what it does.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 06, 2018, 04:33:29 PM »
Ah cool, will see what the deal with that is when it's out then.