Username: Password:

Author Topic: The PWBeast from the East!  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: The PWBeast from the East!
« Reply #15: March 06, 2018, 06:43:17 PM »
I am playing Stellaris (again), Gardenscapes (because oh my god this is the best match 3 ever you get a magic garden and a cute pet dog).

I'm thinking about going back to The Division. I went on holiday to the US after getting laid off, so it might be nice to see NYC again as an epidemiological disaster area.

I'd like to bin being laid off.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 08, 2018, 05:50:00 AM »
Play
FF14. I've signed up to a full account (after a 25 hour free trial – best value for money ever?), bought a bluetooth keyboard for my PS4 and joined a Free Company. Safe to say I quite like it.

Bloodborne. This, on the other hand. Hmm. It's once of the most disquieting things I've ever played. It's creepy, and a bit jumpy, and very gross-out... but it's not just that. It's that the game feels like it actively dislikes you. There's no goodwill here whatsoever, every step of the journey feels like a massive fuck you to the player. You die in two hits. You can't cancel your (very slow) attacks. Or rather, you may be able to, but there's no tutorial so I haven't found out how. When you die, which happens a lot, you lose progress and have to sit through fairly lengthy loads. It's visually disgusting – despite being technically competent there's nothing on screen I actually want to look at. It's just a truly unpleasant game.

And yet I want to go home and have another go. It's like those awful internet shock images of parasites, infestations and puss. It's burrowed its way under my skin and I can't stop thinking about it.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #17: March 09, 2018, 04:11:51 AM »
The Sea of Thieves final beta appears to be available for everyone now, though the servers aren't up yet. It's pretty huge, so if you are interested, might want to start the download now.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #18: March 09, 2018, 06:26:21 AM »
Do I need Xbox Live to play it on PC?

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #19: March 09, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »
I haven't so far. (EDIT: but the FAQ is vague for the final release. EDIT 2: General consensus seems to be that Live is only needed for console play)

Beta is live now.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #20: March 10, 2018, 03:03:15 AM »
So far this beta, I have failed to deliver some chickens, found some buried treasure, and bought myself a dashing beard.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #21: March 10, 2018, 04:00:07 AM »
It's been a while since I played a first-person game on PC (Elite, while first-person, doesn't really count the same way); I don't know if there's something about Sea of Thieves specifically or it's just because I'm sitting so relatively close to the screen, but I got some serious motion sickness from this. It subsided eventually - once I set sail, oddly enough - but for the first minute or so it reminded me of the effect the Oculus Rift DK1 had on me. It might be better if I plug a pad in, too - the mouse might be a little too twitchy, and I could sit back a bit more.

It looks fucking gorgeous, though - holy shit. The water effects in particular are jaw-dropping - when I first left the island I started on, there was a storm raging a little way off so of course I sailed right into it. The waves, the colours of the water, the lightning, the rain... I'm very impressed.

How would we go about meeting up in this? You sound like you've got slightly more of an idea what you're doing than my 'sail into a storm' approach.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #22: March 10, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »
If you're setting up a crew, you just need to invite friends from the menu after choosing your ship/crew type.

EDIT: sailing solo is probably the hardest, but I think a small crew (3) galleon is probably next. 4-player galleon is okay, but 2-crew sloop is pretty easy.

I'll probably not get a chance to play before the baby goes to bed, but I'll try and get on after that (should be around 8, I think). I'll let you know if I get on earlier.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #23: March 10, 2018, 08:00:26 PM »
So setting up a crew was an ordeal this evening, but we managed in the end, and hit the waves in a 3-player galleon.

I think it's actually harder than solo sloop; the extra sails to trim and angle really complicate things.

We found some treasure, actually delivered some chickens this time, and ended up on the recieving end of quite a lot of PvP, which was partly our (my) fault, but got pretty frustrating by the end, after we started trying to just get on with other stuff.

I logged back in solo afterwards, and was pretty immediately attacked by another sloop (2-man) as I attempted to dock. Left them blowing holes in my hull and swam out to them, keeping under the water until I could board. Crept up the ladder, and the fools had left a gunpowder barrel by the wheel. The explosion killed me, too, but I considered it a fair trade. I respawned right next to a treasure chest, and was able to hand it in without incident, which left me with enough cash to buy a fancy new shirt.

Doubt I'll make it on again before the beta ends, but what I played today did as much to dissuade me from the game as anything else. If there are as many trolls and gankers roaming the seas when it goes live, it won't be much of a pleasant experience.

(And yeah, I know - pirates.)

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 11, 2018, 05:14:46 AM »
Also played the SoT beta and am a bit like 'is this it?". When I played the Division Beta when that was out it made me desperate to get it day one, I then spent ages reading up and watching videos on it.

I've largely avoided Thieves news but heard loads of the IGN staff talking about how great it was. Played for about 60 mins with my mate, then he suggested we play Fortnite. Which I agreed.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #25: March 11, 2018, 06:25:55 AM »
I played very little of the beta - basically last night's teamup with Ninchilla was it - but I had a great time, until we kind of made a rod for our own backs by repeatedly attempting the same mission where we were killed the first time.

With voice chat and a pad I could see this as a brilliant way to unwind of an evening, just sailing around with mate(y)s having a chat.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #26: March 11, 2018, 09:37:01 AM »
Additional PLAY:

Metroid: Samus Returns - It's Metroid, basically. That's great. Does get a little repetitive in places since you're not fighting bosses; instead, you're hunting 40 Metroids throughout the planet and so far, I've only encountered three types with about 18 left to kill. There are some lovely touches though, some clever surprises and all the classic nostalgia you want from a Metroid game, so that's nice. Does make me yearn for a remaster of the Prime Trilogy on Switch though... that's got to be happening, right? Right?!

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 15, 2018, 07:32:52 AM »
Also on a 3DS trip, additional Play:

Fire Emblem Awakening - Fire Emblem Warriors left me a bit unsatisfied so I've turned to this, a much more traditional Fire Emblem strategy game rather than a Musou spin-off.  And blimey, it's excellent.  I'd played a little bit of this previously but never really got into it - returning to it now though it's really remarkable how good it is.  It's a very thoughtful strategy game, the threat of constant permadeath forcing a defensive playstyle that's quite different to other games in the genre.  The writing is good, the characters are really nicely developed and the whole thing looks absolutely beautiful, especially for a 3DS game: I'm kind of used to thinking of the 3DS as an underpowered also-ran, but games like this really show it to its best advantage, with lovely artwork, snappy movement and really excellent use of 3D.

I did make the mistake of opening the DLC menu though and ran away very quickly when I saw how much there was.  Think I'll progress with the main game instead!

Offline Smellavision

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 15, 2018, 08:14:05 AM »
I was distracted from Fire Emblem Awakenings, by the amount of time I’ve plunged into Fire Emblem Heroes. But I must say I didn’t go for the permadeath level of play.

Play. Monster Hunter World. I needed a little bit of help to get going with this, but now I’ve figured some of it out and have begun to really get into it. I know with other MH games I reached a wall in mid-game, so feel I need to figure out a progress route rather than just trying to upgrade every weapon.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 15, 2018, 08:16:58 AM »
Yeah. Definitely pick one weapon and stick with it, at least initially. Try a few out in the training area and see what clicks.