Username: Password:

Author Topic: The PWBeast from the East!  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
Re: The PWBeast from the East!
« Reply #30: March 15, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »
I wasn't sure if I was sold on Sea of Thieves after the beta, but I'll be honest - hardly a waking hour has gone by since it ended that I've not thought about it, and I've wanted to get back in and sail about every evening.

Might have to get it, after all.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #31: March 15, 2018, 10:51:23 AM »
I don't play Xbox. I don't like multiplayer games.

I really like the idea of SoT. Hmmmm. HMMMMMMM.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 15, 2018, 11:06:17 AM »
Can you play it single player?

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #33: March 15, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »
You can play solo, but not single-player - you're always in a world with other players. I don't think if it as being entirely "multiplayer", though, weirdly; it's a shared world, and there are only ever a half-dozen other ships on the sea.

And while sailing around in a sloop on your own is fun enough, I think it genuinely benefits from having a crew to hang out with and chat to as you roam about.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #34: March 15, 2018, 11:28:00 AM »
Might have to get [Sea of Thieves], after all.

Please don't, because that might be all it takes for me to crack as well.

I keep looking at an Xbox One X, as well. The thought of sailing around from the comfort of the sofa(rr) is very tempting, and getting a vanilla Xbone feels short-sighted. That said, having to pay for Xbox Live to play is a large bucket of cold water on that idea.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #35: March 15, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
Yeah, if I do get it, it'll be on PC. Not that it matters, being crossplay, and all.

Cheapest I've found it so far is on cdkeys, for £43.99, without the preorder bonus stuff. I'm not usually one to be swayed overly by preorder tat, and it's not a great-looking set, but I do like the hat...

EDIT: price on cdkeys went up. Again. Was £42.99 the first time I looked, I swear, now it's up to £44.99.

EDIT 2: £45.99 now. Starting to think I should have pulled the trigger a few days ago...

« Reply #36: March 16, 2018, 10:53:06 AM »
I've nearly finished Celeste. It is the best game I've played in a long time.

Off the back of that I bought Volgarr the Viking in a PSN sale. It's also good and the sort of thing I want to play just now. It's like Ghouls and Ghosts, Altered Beast and Gods. It is a good looking, hard game and it scratches this itch I didn't really know I had until I started playing Celeste. The itch in question is probably what had me playing Fortnite for so long -- games with a very defined move set the player is expected to apply to the game world and no real story to hold onto between play windows. 

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #37: March 16, 2018, 11:09:09 AM »
EDIT: price on cdkeys went up. Again. Was £42.99 the first time I looked, I swear, now it's up to £44.99.

EDIT 2: £45.99 now. Starting to think I should have pulled the trigger a few days ago...

Stupid question, but it doesn't use cookies to know you keep coming back, does it? You know, how train and plane ticket sites do. Arseholes.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #38: March 16, 2018, 12:41:18 PM »

Stupid question, but it doesn't use cookies to know you keep coming back, does it? You know, how train and plane ticket sites do. Arseholes.
I don't think so..? It's still £45.99 in incognito mode; would that be enough to do it, or do I have to try something else?

Dunno, I assumed it was just going up as their stock of keys is diminished. And it's still the cheapest price, even if it's not so cheap as it once was.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #39: March 16, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
Additional PLAY:

Burnout Paradise Remastered - It's Burnout Paradise. It's super smooth and very, VERY shiny in 4K, definitely more than just a quick-fix port. I'm unable to remember important events in my life and the birthdays of my own children, but appear to have remembered the entire layout of Paradise City and can hit jumps, shortcuts and other nonsense in order to win races. This is very nice indeed.

Need to get into some online fun soon once I start unlocking cars. If anyone's playing (and I doubt anyone is here, but hey), shout and we'll play togethHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry, I had to at least pretend that was ever likely to happen. :)

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #40: March 16, 2018, 05:59:33 PM »
I played about 20 minutes immediately after it unlocked last night and I happened to still be awake. Mostly just blasting about in an off-brand DeLorean, really - didn't even attempt any events.

It looks exactly the same, it runs like a silk knife through hot water, and good God is it faster than I remembered.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 17, 2018, 05:17:11 AM »
I keep looking at an Xbox One X, as well. The thought of sailing around from the comfort of the sofa(rr) is very tempting, and getting a vanilla Xbone feels short-sighted. That said, having to pay for Xbox Live to play is a large bucket of cold water on that idea.

They’ve just announced an Xbox One X / Sea of Thieves bundle, available from next week, if this was still potentially on your shopping list.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #42: March 18, 2018, 04:03:04 AM »
It looks exactly the same, it runs like a silk knife through hot water, and good God is it faster than I remembered.

I thought that too. I've only got cars that go the lowest speed (I've not dabbled in anything but the basic cars so far) and it's really fast. The Road Rage events are carnage, races get silly and the Marked Man events are much harder than I remember them being.

I checked the trophy list and there are LOADS, though I'm already halfway to earning the Platinum from the basic set as all the others are classed as add-ons. I think I'll be here a while. :)

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #43: March 18, 2018, 04:42:44 AM »
Pop the P12 88 Special into hover mode and give it the full burn down the freeway. It's insanely quick.

I've only had a couple of hours with it yet, and done a handful of events; mostly just been exploring the place again. Currently still a D license, with 120-something crash gates & 30-ish billboards.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #44: March 19, 2018, 05:03:04 AM »
This is on PS4, I assume? I have one buddy who can jump on and play Freeburn so if you decide you want to tackle some three-player challenges, just shout. I'm planning to be on most evenings, which is rather unlike me.