Username: Password:

Author Topic: The PWBeast from the East!  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The PWBeast from the East!
« Reply #60: March 20, 2018, 01:32:30 PM »
I could be wrong but I think the DMC/GoW audience moved on to Dark Souls and similar.

Those games couldn't be more different if they tried though. I loved the former, never enjoyed the latter. DMC/GoW was about making you feel like a badass while also offering skill-based gameplay. You could've said Bayonetta...

Both games are about being punished at first but if you persevere you can eventually kick ass and show off. Both games place heavy emphasis on learning your enemies' attacks and vulnerabilities. I don't know, they seem to have more in common that not to me.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #61: March 20, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »
Both games are about being punished at first but if you persevere you can eventually kick ass and show off. Both games place heavy emphasis on learning your enemies' attacks and vulnerabilities.

Are they though? Pretty sure that you were a whirling bladestorm of death right from the start of God of War, even before you started getting power-ups, and could do all kinds of crazy combos against enemies with just two buttons. I never, ever felt punished in GoW because you were a ridiculous badass with a beard who could slice through crowds of enemies like butter just by stabbing Square repeatedly. Compare that to Dark Souls, where you could die just from looking in the wrong direction.

Yes, so the enemy attacks thing relates to both, but hardly to the same degree. Not doing that in DS usually meant instant death, where it just meant a bit of a knock and another chance at it in GoW.

You sure we've played the same game, Bri? Your God of War sounds nothing like mine, and I've finished them all (including the PSP ones no-one played).

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: March 20, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »
Yeah, Gar, it's called Eureka as Mr Party Hat said and it eems how we'll be getting our Relic every so often in Stormblood. You don't truly appreciate a Healer until you've shouted in chat for a res in the middle of nowhere and one comes back to res you and save you 10,00 exp. :o (I was cut off from my group after my internet cut off, and I'm sure you know how it feels to try and sneak through a bunch of high level enemies hoping they won't turn around :D)

How you finding fishing, Mr Party Hat? I thought it was super relaxing, have you experienced the joy of RNG Mooching yet?

And I've been really wanting to get Bayonetta on Switch but I really don't want to get crazy spending any more money. Portable Bayonetta sounds amazing though, and the base game is awesome because the arms/legs weapon system was genius, it was actually quite intuitive once you realise no matter what Bayonetta will always have similar attack strings regardless of what weapons she has, so Punch Punch Punch Mash Kick will always be 3 punches into something like Chun Li's Lightning Kicks, so all that changes is if her kicks are accompanied by shotguns blasts strapped to her legs or Rockets or whatever, good system imo.

Speaking of crazy weapons, I killed Demons with an Electric Guitar solo in DMC3 yesterday, and rebounded towers a boss threw at me witha quick pluck of the strings. Obviously this has nothing on Bayonetta breakdancing while firing rockets from her arms and legs (Or squishing angels with a giant demon's foot made of hair), but still.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63: March 20, 2018, 02:50:05 PM »

You sure we've played the same game, Bri? Your God of War sounds nothing like mine, and I've finished them all (including the PSP ones no-one played).

Yeah, you are probably right about God of War. I played Devil May Cry a lot more than God of War so I'm thinking of that really.

« Reply #64: March 21, 2018, 11:00:37 AM »

Yeah, you are probably right about God of War. I played Devil May Cry a lot more than God of War so I'm thinking of that really.

Thought about it overnight and reckon the Batman Arkham games are probably closest next gen relation to these. It's the rhythm action aspect I guess I'm thinking of when you string combos together. Not that you can't just spam the buttons but there's something graceless about that approach.

« Reply #65: March 28, 2018, 09:53:59 AM »
More Plays...

I finished Celeste. Really enjoyed it but need to go back to find the crystal hearts to get to the end game.

Bought Teslagrad off the PS store for about £2.50 after I finished Celeste and just completed that last night. Didn't get all the scrolls but enjoyed the game enough that I might dip in and look for the remaining ones.

Off the back of these indies I went back and started playing Galak-Z again which I'm having a lot of fun with again after the update has introduced a more forgiving save system and looking forward to getting to the new Void mode. 

Also went back to Shovel Knight which has also had an update since last I looked so playing the Specter Knight campaign.

Putting off anything that's not in 2D/retro for the foreseeable future.