Username: Password:

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros - Switch  (Read 344 times)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Super Smash Bros - Switch
« Topic Start: March 12, 2018, 05:14:22 AM »
I guess most of us have seen the teaser trailer for this now:

! No longer available

So what do we know?  Not much at this stage.

- It's coming out in 2018
- It will feature the Inklings from Splatoon
- The Link shown here appears to be the Breath of the Wild iteration of the character, whereas the previous two Smash games have featured the Twilight Princess version of Link.

Other than that... well, I guess we'll find out.

Now I've played a LOT of Wii U Smash Bros over the last few months; my boy's been obsessed with it and he's kind of dragged me in too.  I've only ever really played it as a knockabout party game but actually there's a hell of a lot of depth in there.  I've really gained an appreciation for the game.  So I'm very hyped for this release.

I am wondering what it will be, though.  If it's a Mario Kart 8 style re-release (the same game as before with a token amount of new stuff, sold at full price) I'll be hugely disappointed and will probably give it a miss.  On the other hand I don't really want to lose anything from the existing game - it's huge, 58 characters including DLC - so I don't necessarily want a full reboot either.

I guess the ideal scenario would be for the game to use the existing Wii U game as a base, add in all the extra stages and modes from the 3DS version, and then have a load of additional content and characters on top.  I have no idea how feasible that would be.  It's going to be a long wait to find out.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
Re: Super Smash Bros - Switch
« Reply #1: March 12, 2018, 06:40:56 AM »
I am wondering what it will be, though.  If it's a Mario Kart 8 style re-release (the same game as before with a token amount of new stuff, sold at full price) I'll be hugely disappointed and will probably give it a miss.  On the other hand I don't really want to lose anything from the existing game - it's huge, 58 characters including DLC - so I don't necessarily want a full reboot either.

So, you basically want a new game that's not a new game and offers you original content without changing anything about the last game, but still has new characters that are perfectly balanced against the 58 fighters who already exist and new modes/experiences that don't take away from what you've already got.

You're everything that's wrong with gamers today. :P

I guess the ideal scenario would be for the game to use the existing Wii U game as a base, add in all the extra stages and modes from the 3DS version

I'm putting £20 on it now that it's this - a combined package of the Wii U and 3DS games, which basically keeps the character count and modes the same but ups the level count. There'll also be new fighters and stages, because we already know that the Inklings are in there (so, Splatoon stages and at least one fighter). ARMS too? Maybe. Revised Link for his BotW setup, so maybe a new version like Toon Link. But I wouldn't bet on new modes. Revised ones, maybe. Unlikely there'll be new.

Smash games takes *years* to make. This one's come out of nowhere and is out this year. That says it all. Sakurai's working on it, but likely because it's his baby and he's checking the balances on the new content. It won't be 'new' new. And as much as that'll piss off the hardcore fans, I'm not sure it needs to be really. No-one bought a Wii U, loads of people bought Switch - it'll be a new experience to a huge amount of people. The Wii U one was also such a definitive version, just as MK8 was, so how you go about making something new beyond that almost seems impossible.

Not that I care. I won't buy it. I don't like Smash, I never have. And yet I've bought them all and then never played it. Not this time. :)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 12, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »
I'm putting £20 on it now that it's this - a combined package of the Wii U and 3DS games, which basically keeps the character count and modes the same but ups the level count. There'll also be new fighters and stages, because we already know that the Inklings are in there (so, Splatoon stages and at least one fighter). ARMS too? Maybe. Revised Link for his BotW setup, so maybe a new version like Toon Link. But I wouldn't bet on new modes. Revised ones, maybe. Unlikely there'll be new.

I'm fine with all that, so it all depends on how much new content there is.  Add, say, ten new characters and the promise of more to come as DLC, and I'll be interested. Chucking out a straight re-release plus Inklings, MK8 style, will just be a rip-off, especially as I'll have to buy even more bespoke Nintendo controllers to play the thing in multiplayer.

Either way, they've completely messed up the reveal, haven't they? Everyone should be all excited about the new Smash, one of their biggest franchises, but all I've seen since the announcement is people concerned about whether it's a re-release or not. There's definitely an argument in favour of turning Smash (and maybe a couple of other franchises) into more of an ongoing platform - adding to, rather than reinventing it, each generation - but Nintendo's willingness to just re-release games that are years old for their "new audience" is really pissing me off now.  They didn't spend the first two years of the Wii just re-releasing the entire back catalogue of the GameCube.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #3: March 12, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
They didn't spend the first two years of the Wii just re-releasing the entire back catalogue of the GameCube.

... because the Wii (when it first came out) could play GameCube titles as well. But hey. :)

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 12, 2018, 04:37:18 PM »
The Wii U was the first one of these I played, and I couldn't get into it and couldn't really see what the point was or why everyone has a hard on for it. It just feels boring and repetitive. What am I missing?

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #5: March 13, 2018, 07:14:27 AM »
Not a huge amount. It really is a Marmite game. I can kind of see what people like about it, but I've always bounced off it. Then again, the same could be said about Monster Hunter and that's *really* popular.

You can't like everything. :D

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 13, 2018, 09:54:57 AM »
Well, a big part of it is fan service. It’s a massive Nintendo toy box, not just in the dozens of characters you can play as or all the stages taken from multiple series but in the hundreds of trophies you can collect, all the background information that’s in there, the mini games, the many other characters and series that pop up as support, and so on. If you’re at all a fan of Nintendo (and, increasingly, other game series too) then it’s simply a joy.

But it’s also a really good fighting game. That’s not always apparent as a lot of people play it with four players and all items turned on - which inevitably leads to pleasing chaos but little more - but strip it down to a 1 on 1 and it really shines. Every character is immaculately balanced and the emphasis is on positioning and stage control more than it is on tricky execution, so it’s more accessible than something like Street Fighter but honestly no less deep.

It’s not for everyone but then competitive fighting games may not be your thing. This is genuinely one of the best, and certainly the silliest.