Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sea of Thieves  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
Re: Sea of Thieves
« Reply #15: March 21, 2018, 07:01:10 PM »
Hit the seas for the first time properly this evening, in a small-crew sloop with Sarah. We did a mission or two for each of the factions, plus a couple of message-in-a-bottle treasure hunts. Thoughts:
  • Combat still isn't great, but - at least at the level we were doing - it wasn't as much of a slog as I remember. Regular skeletons die in at most 3 cutlass hits, and our bounty Captain went down without too much of a struggle once we cleared the adds and focused fire. It was fine.
  • Prices have gone waaaay up from the beta. 13.6k gold for a hat. Bloody hell.
  • Other players are a source of great caution. I only saw one other ship all evening - a galleon that rounded the other side of an island just as we cleared it. Headwind meant our sloop had the advantage, but I was on tenterhooks until we cleared their firing arc. Turned out they weren't hostile anyway; they followed us up and dropped anchor just behind us as we offloaded our chickens. One of their players followed us around for a while playing their hurdy-gurdy.
  • The only other person I saw was after Sarah logged; I went and dug up a chest on a nearby island, and when I got back aboard, someone was changing their jacket in my hold. I chased him off, and remained paranoid the whole way back to the outpost that they were still hiding somewhere to steal my ill-gotten gains. They weren't. HOLLA HOLLA GET DOUBLOONS

Some random screenshots of the evening:

(I'm trying not to just take loads of the sky/sea, can you tell?)

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #16: March 22, 2018, 08:15:34 PM »
I had a reasonably successful first foray into Sea of Thieves tonight, first playing solo for a while and then joining Ninchilla for some more mission-oriented stuff (albeit still occasionally waylaid by another group's galleon).

There's a lot of complaints floating around, but so long as they don't do anything to make sailing less satisfying than it is now, I don't think I'll have many complaints. I got caught in a really bad thunderstorm which eventually killed my ship, but sailing through it was fantastic.

http://youtu.be/AngetEiUKbA

I didn't think to grab video of our run-in with the other galleon, either from the first encounter where they attempted to blow up our sloop while we were off handing in missions (which resulted in a retaliatory boarding and the murder of their crew) or the second where they spotted us from a mile or so away and gave chase for an incredibly exciting few minutes (until our smaller ship managed to lose them around some islands).

Yes, the combat is kind of garbage, the mission flow is pretty repetitive, the economy currently only offers exorbitantly-priced vanity items, and progression is either non-existent or pointless. But it's a beautiful world to spend time in, and I find just getting around it incredibly satisfying.

For anyone on the fence (with a machine to run it), there's a 14-day trial of the Xbox Game Pass which also gets you Sea of Thieves for free. Give it a shot - playing solo, it's quite challenging (especially with the absence of adequate tutorials, and that's before you risk ship-to-ship combat), but I'd be happy to help out with learning the ropes (in some regards, literally).

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #17: March 23, 2018, 03:52:18 AM »
The only thing I remembered to save of the galleon chase was a near-identical screenshot, from just after they abandoned the pursuit.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #18: March 23, 2018, 03:52:43 AM »
Goddammit, Tapatalk...

Fuck it, going to use these for something.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #19: March 23, 2018, 03:53:20 AM »
Exclusive live feed of the SoT subreddit:

So many people seem to think this is about grinding for gear. Someone actually said, as a criticism, "...once you get your outfit and ship customized, you've basically done everything and now you just play to play."

I mean, what the fuck..? Like playing a game just for the joy of it is a bad thing?

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 23, 2018, 06:56:19 AM »
I mean, what the fuck..? Like playing a game just for the joy of it is a bad thing?

Ever since Modern Warfare basically remake multiplayer games, yeah :V

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #21: March 23, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »
Turns out I did grab the final, unexciting minute of our galleon escape.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #22: March 23, 2018, 08:23:04 AM »
Huzzah!

I wonder if they were inconvenienced at all by my theft of their chicken crate...

Ever since Modern Warfare basically remake multiplayer games, yeah :V
If I didn't play games just for the fun of it, I'd never get anything out of the experience.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #23: March 23, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »
Went to a skeleton fort this evening. It did not go well. There were no other ships in attendance, and the fort cannons sunk our ship, then we got swarmed by skeletons. Loot: zero.

Sarah found a higher-level skull on a shipwreck, but it was still only worth a couple hundred gold. A fair chunk of rep, though.

Another sloop attacked us as we got back to our ship with some booty, then ran away like a coward when I started swimming toward them. We lost them pretty easily after that.

It seems much easier to rank up Gold Hoarders than anyone else; I'm 10 with them already, and only 4/3 with Souls/Traders. Not helped by the fact I accidentally traded in a barrel of gunpowder at the wrong outpost; got paranoid and just wanted to offload it. Ah, well.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #24: March 23, 2018, 08:34:47 PM »
I broke 10 with Gold Hoarders tonight too, thanks to another Captain's Chest, and I'm still sitting on 2 with the others. I don't think it helps that I just want money right now, so I can get better stuff than the drowned rat look my pirate currently sports.

Tonight I had an impromptu jam session with two randoms, who then attempted to steal my boat as I stood next to the anchor release so I killed them. Got a 'rolling on deck laughing' from one of them afterwards, and they didn't pursue me on respawn, so I don't think there were any hard feelings. Later, a skeleton on an island cannon blasted me out of my own ship, which was going too fast for me to catch up swimming - thank God for mermaid teleport.

I really wanted to find a shipwreck to salvage, but didn't spot any in my mostly-aimless sailing.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 26, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »
Had an absolute blast on this today, completely changed my mind on the game now that I basically treat it as first person Sid Meiers Pirates Gold. Mainly working the Merchant quests currently as seem to get more gold from them. Just shy of about 2000 now. It would seem my game was bugged originally as when I signed in yesterday I unlocked 700 gold and levelled up to l3 with the Hoarders. Like a retrospective payout for everything I had previously done.

Was sailing in a storm today solo when a huge Gallon pulled up out of no where in the dark and wasted me, sunk my ship. Also was on an island hunting and returned to find another gallon had docked next to me and one of them then stole my ship and they used it as a distraction for a fort raid as when I warped to it I was under heavy attack and the thief waited for me to appear then jumped off over the side.

Video off my take down on two guys who opened fire on me and thought they had sunk me, who I chased down, sunk there ship and killed the pair of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjDwYnpb0P4&feature=youtu.be

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #26: March 26, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »
Cool! I've been playing solo, with Sarah, and occasionally 3-manning a galleon with aniki. Haven't played in a full 4 since early alpha, but if we somehow end up online together...

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #27: March 26, 2018, 06:35:06 PM »
Guess who I met tonight?

Saved my skin, too - that galleon in the middle of the forest of tentacles had been chasing me for about ten minutes by the time Special K showed up - hoping for retaliation, presumably, because I'd killed two of its crew when they boarded my sloop after they'd shot me on an outpost while I tried to remember the emote button so I could wave hello. (I'm glad I'd had the foresight to equip the blunderbuss.)

I had just left the island hoping to find a more welcoming outpost, but saw them following me a couple minutes later and led them on a merry chase around a few different islands (dangerously close to the edge of the map at one point). I'm damn lucky they were such bad shots with their cannons; they got into firing range once, but missed me with all nine shots, and after that I managed to stay in front of them until the Kraken appeared.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 26, 2018, 06:53:04 PM »
Decided to join a random crew this evening. Did a couple of low level quests then they all disbanded. Was sailing by myself when a party of 3 took came on and announced they were in charge. They actually invited me to there party but I had some privacy issue preventing me from hearing them, so they through me in the brig...

They let me out when I sent a message explaining and spoke to them via local chat but then my game froze.

I think that might be the first time I've spoken to randoms on xbox since Halo 2.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 27, 2018, 04:53:06 AM »
I completed my first voyage last night, huzzah!

I've only played solo – in fact I haven't seen a single other player – but I'm not finding the sloop too difficult on my own. I failed my first fix or six attempts because my ship just kept disappearing. I would park it (wrong word...), go off and find some booty, then just realise I was stranded.

But now I have 500 bits o' booty. I'm RICH.

Boring tech bit: Anyone tried HDR on their Xbone? It's awful on mine, not sure if it's my LG TV or the Xbox's fault. It's nothing to do with the calibration, I've tinkered endlessly. And there's no amount of tinkering that could make it look anywhere near as good as the non-HDR mode.

A bug?